This week in sports: Sept. 22-28

Freshman Marlon Moreno attempting a shot while freshman Alfredo De La Mora defends.

Both the cross country and water polo teams perform in competitions this week, the wrestling team travels to West Hill for a tournament and the volleyball squad has two away games in this week in sports.

The women and men’s water polo team will face-off against Los Angeles Trade-Tech at home Wednesday, Sept. 25 in a back-to-back matchup.

The women’s 3-6 record leaves a lot be desired and the 3-3 start of the season for the men will be motivation to achieve a winning record.

“We’ll come out strong and confident, but at the end of the day all that matters is the final score,” sophomore attacker Teresa Zuniga said.

Sophomore Derek Klotzer said, “As long as we play our game and do what we’re supposed to do and what we practice, we should win no problem.”

Game time is 3 p.m. and 4:15 p.m. respectively.

Following the home match against Los Angeles Trade-Tech, the men’s water polo team will partake in the Cal Lutheran tournament. The San Diego Mesa tournament will begin and extend throughout the week.

Women and men’s cross country will travel to Central Park for the Golden West Invitational Friday, Sept. 27 at 10 a.m.

Development is key for the teams.

“I feel this meet will serve as a preparation for some of our athletes and provide some development for some of the newcomers and the ones that are really trying to get to that next level,” Richardson said. “This meet is not going to be emphasized for a top varsity runners. We’re trying to give an opportunity to the lower level athletes and get them to step up and get a good competitive feel.”

Meanwhile, wrestling will face Santa Rosa at West Hills College Friday, Sept. 27 at 7 p.m. and then will be at the West Hills Tournament at 9 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 28.

The volleyball team will faceAllan Hancock in an away contest Saturday, Sept. 28 at 11 a.m. and afterward will face College of the Desert at 1 p.m.

The football team will not have a game this week and are practicing for a game Saturday, Oct. 5 after a 41-25 loss to Mt. San Antonio.

Denny Cristales
Denny Cristales, Editor-in-Chief
Fall 2014

The Big Cheese! I am the Editor-in-Chief Denny Cristales. Just your average, mild-mannered pupusa lover who covers news. I’m not one of those jerks who would ramble on and on about what they do - such as being a former Sports and News Editor, in addition to earning third place at the CCMAs for my sports page design - no, I won’t do that (My staff also conquered the LA Times in local breaking news coverage).  What I will do is tell you to look at talonmarks.com and admire the work we do.

Also, talk to me on Twitter: @Den_Crist , or email me: . I embrace the criticism (Also, I get lonely).