In-N-Out truck competes with business

Sebastian Echeverry
How appealing is a free In-N-Out now that it’s down the street? Students weigh in on Welcome Day and free hamburgers.

cAt Cerritos College the first week of class is inaugurated with an In-N-Out truck serving the students a burger, fries, and a bag of chips.

To many, it is unclear why such a large fraction of the student body would wait in line for a free product that is, Meagan Clark, the manager of the In-N-Out on Alondra blvd. puts it, “Cheap to begin with.”

Going to the burger joint across the street from campus would potentially supply better service in a timely manner but the non-cost of the “cook out style” event was the most cited reason for participants and bystanders.

Jordan Wolg, a Cerritos College student, offered a number of reasons regarding the enthusiasm for the food truck. “We like free stuff,” he said excitedly.

Michelle Navarro, computer science major, admitted that “I feel super excited. It gives back to students. If It’s just a burger, I’ll take it for free.”

While, english major, Andrew Casillias, agreed that “I think anyone prefers something for free. Personally, I think It shows how the student body can come together, and it shows that we are Cerritos campus.

On the other hand, Cerritos College student Elvira Aguilar had a different opinion; “I don’t want to stand,” Aguilar said.

An additional incentive to wait in the line, which no one remembered to mention, was the ability to win a free movie ticket just by entering the Snapchat challenge.

Alexis Luna, a pastry chef working at the In-N-Out cookout admitted that “free food is always enticing to college students.”

Luna also confirmed that the fact that students had expectations of free In-N-Out hamburgers accounted for the large participation of the student body at the event this year.

Clark seemed unfazed after learning of the truck’s presence.

She said, “The food is cheap to begin with. It’s been a busy day and actually some people came today asking about free food. College students (were a consequential group of patrons) today as they are every other day.”

Desmond Byrd
Desmond Byrd, Staff Writer
Benjamin Garcia
Benjamin Garcia, Fall 2017 Online Editor
Sebastian Echeverry
Sebastian Echeverry, Editor in Chief
Hello all, my name is Sebastian Echeverry and I am the Editor-in-Chief for the fall 2015 semester. I have been working for the newspaper for four semesters now and slowly climbed the ranks from staff writer, to assistant sports editor, to sports editor, news/managing editor and finally the big cheese. My interest in journalism began when the twin towers fell on September 11 and the U.S. invaded Iraq. Global news coverage of airstrikes in Baghdad plagued the media and my father who served in the Colombian military would sit with me and explain what was going on to me. I was only eight years old at the time, so putting politics aside, I was only interested in how reporters on the front lines were seeing history unfold in front of them. Since then, I enjoyed reading and writing especially about global news. My first taste of research was for a high school paper about the militias still active in the U.S. I remember sipping some brew outside on the Coffee Bean's patio and being swallowed up by data, and liking it. I Currently have a part time job at Calvin Klein, my favorite sport is soccer and I love, Barcelona, Chelsea and Borussia Dortmund. I also enjoy watching hockey and my favorite team there is the Detroit Red Wings, yeah weird I know. I'm an easy person to approach and talk to and if you have story ideas let's get cracking on them! my email is: [email protected] My Twitter is: C_bass581141 My Instagram is: onlyc_bass5 and for giggles my snapchat is: onlyc_bass5