Bringing reggae to SoCal with “Panteon Rococo”

Phoning in on an icy morning from Mexico City, Dr. Shenka, the vocalist for famed Mexican ska band Panteon Rococo detailed their upcoming Los Angeles show.

According to Elena Rodrigo, owner of ER: M&M , the company in charge of publicity for the show, Skanking Reggae Fest will take place on March 20 at the Shrine Expo Hall.

This will mark the sixth edition of the show and the first time English-speaking bands partake.

According to the promoter and founder of the event, Adrian Antonio Gonzalez, he noticed a high demand for Latin American and Southern California ska and reggae in Los Angeles.

Shenka expressed, “We’re really happy to play a festival of this magnitude with local and established bands.”

The vocalist added, “For us, it’s always great, an excuse to show that ska is important.”

The frontman expressed his excitement to play the festival alongside legendary Jamaican ska band, The Skatalites.

“We’ve played with them before, but to do it in California, there’s going to be a lot of energy there.”

Other bands such as Reel Big Fish, and Spanish rockers Inspector will also be part of the show.

Goldenvoice, who also presents events such as Coachella and Stagecoach is supporting and presenting the Skanking Reggae Fest this year for the first time.

According to Isaac Safdeye, festival co-promoter of Goldenvoice, the company’s involvement of will bring a bigger platform for the ska and reggae festival.

Tickets for the event are on sale through AXS and at the Shrine Expo box office for regular price at $50 and $60 at the door.

Karla Enriquez
Karla Enriquez, Managing Editor
'Ello! My name is Karla M. Enriquez and I am this semester's Managing & Investigative Editor. I'm a journalism major & hope to transfer to Berkeley in the very near future. I'm also very much into literature, politics, pop culture, art, and advocating for causes near and dear to me. I'm REALLY musically inclined so you'll probably catch me at a music event around town. If you catch me around campus feel free to stop me for a chat, I love meeting new people and sharing ideas. Catch me on social media as well. Twitter: karlamenriquez Snapchat:karlajonese