Model UN discusses women and children in developing countries.

Tisha Lenon
Cerritos College Model UN delegates motion to speak during the last simulation of the spring semester. Model UN participated in LAMUN Conference in April at Universal City. Photo by Tisha Lenon/TM

Model United Nations participated in their last simulation of the semester.

The simulation was held on Tuesday, May 3 in the Teleconference Center.

There were about 80 students and faculty ready to learn about the topic of discussion.

In the last 14 weeks the delegates prepared and learned diplomatic skills and how to participate in public speaking.

This semester’s topic was girls and women in developing countries.

The 10 delegates represent one of the following countries: South Sudan, Algeria, United Kingdom, Switzerland, United States , Japan, China, Papua New Guinea, India and Germany.

Political science professor, Dr. Sunday Obazuaye, wants students to be more informed.

“Students will take away the knowledge of global issues and also how to resolve or attempt to resolve these global issues using diplomatic efforts.”

During the simulation, human trafficking, gender equality and education were some of the sub topics brought up.

Each country had different ideas or concern about sex trafficking.

The delegates debated on different alternatives to fix the problem like stronger laws, and to provide a better education for women and children.

Two acts were developed to enact a better opportunity for them.

The first one was coalition to abolish slavery and trafficking (CAST).

This act would stop sex trafficking in all form and implement regulations and punishment of sex crimes committed toward women and children.

The second act was literacy education efforts (LEE).

LEE is a 5 year plan to help build schools so more women and children can attend and also provide job opportunities by hiring teachers.

Once both acts were explained the delegates debated on whether both were necessary.

Most of the countries came to an agreement and both acts were passed.

Karina Soto, psychology major, was glad that she came to the event.

“It’s really interesting to see each person represent a country. I got to learn a lot of facts and got to see which countries worked together. I’m glad I came because you sometimes forget that these types of things happen in real life.”

If interested to participate in Model UN, meetings are held on Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. in the multipurpose building room 211 or take the political science 250 course from 6 p.m. to 8:50 p.m. in LCC 155.

Tisha Lenon
Tisha Lenon, Staff Writer
I’m 20 years old and attend Cerritos College. I played on the Women's volleyball team I was the co-captain. My major is Public Relations and I'm minoring in Fashion and Merchandising. I plan to transfer to either Cal State Fullerton or Cal State Long Beach. I hope to get a big career in the Fashion industry or the media/entertainment business. My main objective is get as much experience as a writer and be able use all the elements I learn with Talon Marks in my career. “The greatest weapon anyone can use against us is our own mind.” – Emily Thorne (Revenge)