New campus safety app to hit Cerritos College

Kianna Znika
The Cerritos College Campus Police presented their Campus Safety Update for Jan. 2020 at the Regular Board meeting on Jan. 15. During the presentation, Chief Tom Gallivan discussed the features of the new RAVE Guardian app which is expected to come to campus later in the semester. The app will include features such as emergency call buttons and monitored safe walks. Photo credit: Kianna Znika

Cerritos College has signed a contract to implement the RAVE Guardian personal safety app by the end of the spring 2020 semester.

This app, produced by the same company that provides the RAVE Alert system, provides additional options to Cerritos College students to remain safe on and off campus.

Campus Police Chief Tom Gallivan describes Guardian as “a custom branded cellphone safety app.”

RAVE Guardian app’s many features would produce a serious overhaul of the Cerritos College security apparatus. The ubiquity of smartphones means almost anyone on campus can utilize the safety features provided.

RAVE Guardian possesses several notable features: a virtual walk escort, an emergency panic button, contact resources for campus safety, and emergency notifications, among others.

The application, unlike the RAVE Alert, is opt-in, requiring students and faculty to download the app and create a profile.

“This is strictly voluntary,” says Gallivan. “You have to take the effort to download the app and become part of this safety app.”

The profile creation process allows users to input medical issues, like allergies, that may be important information for emergency services. The user can also include their class schedule and presumptive locations to allow for quicker response times from police and medical aid.

The app’s usage of GPS conflicts with the vertical nature of much of Cerritos’ campus. An emergency call to the Social Sciences building, for example, cannot be pinpointed to a specific floor or room.

If the user hasn’t input their schedule, the first responders know only the general area in which the emergency is taking place.

The op-in nature of the application produces further issues. Students and faculty must take the time to download and familiarize themselves with the app before it can be effectively utilized.

To counter this possibility, the Cerritos College Police intend to wage a marketing campaign across the campus to increase awareness of the app’s potential value.

Another feature of the app that Gallivan is “really excited about” is “24/7 texting” of campus police.

The RAVE Guardian app allows users to anonymously text the campus police with information on criminal activity or an emergency that requires the user to remain quiet, preventing a phone call.

“Users are able to send us confidential tips… and we’ll get it in real time,” Gallivan says.

This feature has obvious value to law enforcement and potential victims of crime or medical misfortune.

Issues could arise when considering the serious risk of allowing anonymous users to submit unverified tips and reports to police.

RAVE Guardian is expected to be introduced to the Cerritos College community sometime later in the spring semester. The contract for the application has already been signed but implementation hasn’t been finalized.

Cerritos students will be encouraged by campus police to download the app and create their profiles as soon as the app is made available. Most emergencies, after all, are unexpected, unwelcome surprises.

Sean Davis
Sean Davis, Editor in Chief
Sean Davis is the Editor in Chief of Talon Marks for the Spring 2021 semester. He has been Managing, News, and Opinion editor at various points in his time with the paper. A Journalism major, Sean is aiming to complete his B.A. and eventually report on international affairs, conflicts and civil unrest, as well as the intersection of climate change and societal change. Sean is a history lover and politics junkie that is both eminently disturbed by the present and cautiously hopeful for the future.
Kianna Znika
Kianna Znika, Editor in Chief
Kianna Znika is the current Editor-in-Chief for Talon Marks and previously worked as the News & Community Editor. Her goal is to work for any publication that values nature, mental health, community and the overall wellbeing of others. When she's not working on a news story or sharing her unfiltered opinion with the world, she enjoys reading/writing, hanging out with friends, and taking care of her dog, geckos, and indoor plants.