Clubs encourage new members

The campus of Cerritos College welcomed camaraderie and unity via its semesterly Welcome/Club Info Day and Night.

Welcome Day being held on Wednesday, Feb. 8 from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. and Welcome Night Thursday, Feb. 9 from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m.

The event took place at the Falcon Square where the many different clubs set up to lure students to join their club of preference, having different interactions and dynamics.

It consisted of the networking of students and club representatives sharing the vast information regarding their specific clubs.

Cerritos had the tradition of giving students a free In-N-Out burgers with their current semester sticker. This year, it was the Culinary Arts who did the catering, having taco plates that consisted of two tacos, rice and beans.

This was not as successful as having the In-N-Out Burger truck.

Most students were not aware that this was occurring while the clubs were out.

Cerritos Student Athlete Captain Council was one of the clubs that participated in the event.

Andrew Fowler, president of the SACC said that the purpose of this club is to bridge the gap between athletes and the rest of the campus and also between the different sports teams because there is a huge segregation among these.

“I think it’s important that everyone is involved with something because every single one of these clubs is helping better our community and better our college in their own specific way,” he said.

He also mentioned that having an event like this is very important for students because many students don’t know about certain clubs existence, especially first semester students.

“Getting out there, being social, I know it’s hard of a lot of introverts to get out there and be social but it’s something you have to work toward,” he concluded.

SACC also had a few student athletes of Track and Field under Coach Wagner’s assistance performing pole vault.

Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science was another club looking for new members.

It is an organization that helps Chicanos, Hispanics and Native Americans in Science related fields, with scholarships, career options and research opportunities.

Alexandria Macias, SACNA’s President said that people in general should get involved in a club they’re comfortable with. “It’s a place for people to be themselves.”

Andres Cavazos, historian for the Student Alliance For Equality Club, said that the SAFE club is an equality club that provides a safe place for anyone to join.

The club promotes advocacy and awareness; welcoming the LGBT community, religious or non-religious, no matter what race, color or beliefs, to be together as one and having bonding experiences to get to know each other.

SAFE, will be hosting a Drag Show in March were members will dress as drag queens. The dates are yet to be determined.

Joshua Mathews, kinesiology major thinks that the importance of having club info day is an opportunity for students to browse the different clubs that offer distinct opportunities in order to follow different paths to furthering their education at a 4-year university.

“You can gain responsibility and leadership skills and be more confident about yourself,” he said.

RGBClubInfoDay3.jpg
Members of the SAFE Club giving information to a student on Feb. 8 during the Club Info Day. SAFE Club promotes awarenes and inclusion of all students.

Dennis Osorio
Dennis Osorio, Staff Writer
My name is Dennis Osorio aka “Pato” (duck in spanish). I am 20 years old and I’m currently a Cerritos College student pursuing a career on Communication Studies who is interested on working on social media in order to reach the youth. I am a person who loves learning new things from different people and cultures. My interests include socializing with others, meeting new people, trying new foods, spending time with my family and friends, and altruism. My goal is to influence people in the best positive way.