50 clubs participate in Cerritos College Club Info Night

Cerritos College students were given the opportunity to see what the approximately 50 clubs on capus have in store.

Cerritos College Club Information Night was held in Falcon Square from 5 to 8 p.m. on Thursday Sept. 7.

This event also gave the clubs an opportunity to attract new participants and to show what their clubs have to offer the students of Cerritos College.

Any student is allowed to create a club within reason.

The clubs varied from a wide range of multiple topics such as art appreciation to Chicano/Latinos for community medicine and so on.

The clubs purpose is to create a safe environment for people with similar interest and to create a successful Falcon student overall.

Most clubs received about 20-30 new signatures of students interested throughout that night.

Overall, most clubs had a great turnout in new numbers for interested members.

Karina Castanon, art club president, said that her club received 30 new signups that night and hoped for more.

The art club was offering Caricature drawings for a small donation to help fund their program. All drawings were created by members already in the club. They meet every Monday at 4 p.m.

Another club that received a lot of interest was the Umoja Success Program. According to member Jayda McNeal, Umoja means “unity” in Swahili. This program focuses on the success of African American students and anyone else willing to join.

McNeal also said that so many people were interested in the program that they needed to move into a larger room for their meetings. Now they meet every first Tuesday of the month in the Teleconference Center from 11 to noon.

Another club that had a lot of activity was the school radio program Where People Make a Difference, or WPMD for short.

Club treasurer, Justine Santos explained that anyone is able to run their own radio show on any topic they are interested in speaking on, to an extent.

No vulgarity is accepted in the shows. Santos said shows usually last about an hour and can be heard on multiple online platforms such as Tunein, Apple Music and Streema.

This club also teaches how to run the radio equipment to anyone interested in the field of radio broadcasting.

The club was also offering free pins and fidget spinners when people would go sign up to their club. They meet every Wednesday at 11 a.m. in the radio facility.

This event was ran and organized by Amna Jara, student activities coordinator for Cerritos College.

Jara enforced a new method of having more people interact with multiple clubs as a way of receiving a free meal provided from the Culinary Arts department.

The culinary department had many students working on food and passing them out to people that got their card punched.

Multiple students had various opinions on the taco, rice and beans meal the Culinary Arts program provided.

Some enjoyed it such as Teresa Magana, dance major, and some thought the beans were kinda salty, including International Business Major Carlos Diaz-Soto.

Jara created a punch card system that needed to be stamped by at least three different clubs and then brought back to the Associated Students of Cerritos College (ASCC) table to receive a ticket to obtain their meal.

Jara said that she is really happy with this new system and plans on using it again for future events.

IMG_8878.JPG
Cerritos College students engaging with multiple clubs Photo credit: Scarled Murillo

Scarled Murillo
Scarled Murillo, Staff Writer