Students learn about methods to balance school and family

Palma made the students play a game by keeping the balloons in the air, each balloon were their responsibilities they have to do throughout the day and they had to work as team keeping the balloons from falling to the floor.Those who attended the workshop learned how to balance time management, study skills, build a support system and finding quality child care. Photo credit: Jocelyn Torralba

Child development faculty member Jennifer Palma and re-entry specialist Shannon Estrada presented the four keys to balance family and school on Sept. 20 to help students control those areas.

Those who attended the workshop learned how to balance time management, study skills, build a support system and finding quality child care.

Palma started off her introduction with a powerpoint and then told students to fold a paper into four and write four key points in each square.

• Quadrant I: Urgent and important
  • Quadrant II: not urgent and important
  • Quadrant III: urgent and not important
  • Quadrant IV: not urgent and not important.

She discussed the difference of urgent things that must be done and the important ones that can wait.

One piece of wisdom that she gave was that to prioritize is the power of saying no, “One of the things that has helped me is that I’ve gotten really good at saying no and I say with no guilt,” Palma said.

She explained that saying no to time consuming things has helped her have more time to do everything in her schedule.

Palma made the students play a game by keeping the balloons in the air, each balloon were their responsibilities they have to do throughout the day and they had to work as team keeping the balloons from falling to the floor.

Lorena Ramos, paralegal studies major, is a mother of two, works part time and is a full time student.

“I wanted to find out how to manage school, my kids, work and have time for myself,” Ramos said.

Martinez found the workshop helpful she said she’s using Palma’s strategies such as scheduling her days in advanced using a calendar and prioritizing her responsibilities.

Estrada and Palma advised students to manage time with their children and not to rely on television to babysit for them.

Palma suggested child care services and community agencies if students don’t have anyone to care of their kids.

She also advised to start a consistent schedule with their kids at an early age such having a calendar for them and help them fill it out with their responsibilities.

Having a support system was another strategy Palma suggested; she mentioned its very important to have some friends or family to rely on so they can help out when the student is need.

Catalina Bravo, liberal arts major, is a mother, works full time and is a full time student.

“Not managing my schedule is killing me from not having enough time for anything,” Bravo said.

She mentioned that she is going to start using the skills Palma and Estrada presented in the workshop and focus them in her parenting, prioritizing school by studying with study groups and doing homework in advance.

Five students attended the workshop.

Palma was pleased with the student turnout, “It would always be more fantastic to have more students to come. I’m pleased that they are here and are willing to participate,” Palma said.

Estrada said that she decided to do this workshop because she sees that a lot students in the re-entry program are parents and tell her they’re overwhelmed and don’t know how to balance school and their families.

Jocelyn Torralba
Jocelyn Torralba, Production Manager
Hello there ! My name is Jocelyn Torralba and I am 20 years old. Production Manager in Talon Marks. I was born in Lynwood, California and I graduated from Alliance Collins High School in 2014. I am a junior at Cerritos College, my major is journalism. I hope to transfer to CSU Fullerton next year. Ever since I was a little girl I used to love being the center of attention and always be in in front of the camera. My dream is to become a tv host in one of my favorite celebrity entertainment shows and show the world my passion for broadcasting.