Students learned about Chicano Studies

Director of Student Services Program, Norma Rodriguez explained how Chicano Studies is important to society. Chicano Studies can prepare students for different careers as well. Photo credit: Nicholas Johnson

Foreign Language Instructor Carlos Arce hosted a Chicano Studies lecture for students who are interested in pursuing Chicano Studies as a degree.

Norma Rodriguez, Director of Students Services went over how every year there are different international week lectures and events and she talked about tea time, which is a conversation for students to talk about anything which includes international students as well.

Students who want to attain an AA in Chicano studies have to take the required courses, choose two electives and complete 21 units that are specified below:

• Anthropology 100
  • English 223
  • English 225
  • Spanish 210
  • Spanish 245

Professor Arce went over a Aztec Calendar that has four important meanings:

• Tezcatlipoca/ Self-Reflection: is applied in the classroom when students are asked to personally reflect on their lives,communities, academic content and the world.
  • Quetzalcoatl/ Precious and Beautiful Knowledge:is applied when students are analyzing and synthesizing new information such as producing and co-constructing new knowledge.
  • Huitzilopochtli/ The Will to Act:happens when critical consciousness, skills and knowledge is produced outside of the classroom space.
  • Xipe Totec/ Transformation: is the concept that represents personal and social transformation. The human process of learning should result in an element of change tat is counter-hegemonic and rooted in social justice as well.

He also went over ethnic studies and how it is different for nations and cities across the world.

In addition, he mentioned how it is arduous for international students to attend college, earn financial aid, apply for loans/scholarships and register for class that non-internationals deal with as well.

Arce said, “I think that all the events planned by the international studies is really important for the campus.

Rodriguez said, “I think it went quite well. One of the things I’m really proud about is this new program and it is exciting because it has a lot of information and it’s a great opportunity for students to learn more about Chicano Studies and the evolution of it.”

Daniel Brian Sanchez, undecided major, said that he really enjoyed the presentation and how the international education week is amazing and wished that more people showed up.

There will be another international education event called “Educators Share their Experience: “In Their Own Words” on Tuesday, Nov. 14.

Nicholas Johnson, Staff Writer
Hello, my name is Nick Johnson and I am a staff writer for Talon Marks. My major is journalism and the area of journalism that interests me is media and society journalism. The type of job I hope to have one day is being on TV as a host for entertainment such as E News!