Transfer students expand opportunities at University Mini Fair

Jackelynn Martinez
Students gathered around to learn more about the workshop and programs Cerritos College offers for transfer success. University representatives came to Cerritos College to help that were interested in transferring in the near future at University Mini Fair on March 7.

Cerritos College students were able to receive information on schools they were interested in transferring to at the University Mini Fair held by the Transfer Center on March 7.

The fair began at 10 a.m. with over 40 university booths lined up in Falcon Square, the booths gave out information about their programs and handed out flyers.

Brittany Lundeen, transfer center co-director, said, “every semester we try and have one university fair, our largest one is in the fall, we have about 75 universities on campus and this is what we consider our mini one cause we have about 40 universities on campus.”

The Transfer Center also created a scavenger hunt for students to complete, it allowed them to get more involved with colleges that attended the fair.

Schools, such as Cal State Dominguez Hills, Cal State Long Beach, Berkeley University, California State San Marcos and Biola University, were some of the universities being represented at the mini fair.

Lundeen said this fair is beneficial for students because, “the biggest thing is a lot of students get kind of stuck on one option and they only consider that one place but hopefully by bringing all the universities to the campus, they will expand their option a little more and consider more than one option.”

John Rocha, enrollment specialist and outreach coordinator, represented California University San Marcos.

Rocha said, “I am representing our extended learning department, we are a department that works with a non-transitional type of student. So we work with transfer students, adult learners and students who are seeking certification and specialization for their career development.”

He added, “California State University San Marcos is one of the 23 CSU schools in San Marcos which is in North County San Diego, we’re about 16,000 undergrad. Our programs are known for social sciences, nursing, criminology, psychology, sociology.

“San Marcos is known for social justice and equity, so we’re always fighting for equality for students, social justice and inclusiveness.”

IMG_6493.JPG
Cerritos College students were able to receive information on schools they were interested in transferring to at the University Mini Fair held by the Transfer Center on March 7. Photo credit: Jackelynn Martinez

Once students completed the scavenger hunt, which consisted of questions about a UC, CSU and private colleges, they received a donut or a prize as an award.

Ryan Cruz, computer information science major said, “I decided to stop by to get more information about the schools I want to transfer to and the free stuff.”

Cruz added, “It was very informative, I found out more about what I need to have to transfer and what some certain schools are best at. Some told us there’s nothing for computer information science, while others said they have a really good computer information science program, so that was good to know.

“Berkley seems to have the best stuff for it or Grand Canyon University because it’s cheap.” Cruz said.

The next University Fair will be held in the 2018 fall semester.

Jackelynn Martinez
Jackelynn Martinez, Staff Writer