Culinary Arts reopens as The Cafe

Culinary Arts reopens as The Cafe

Mouth-watering smells from the kitchen at Cerritos College are filling the air as the new Café has opened and its not fast food.

Last week, Cerritos College Culinary Arts department was cooking up a storm to serve students, faculty and the public in the Student Center.

The students are under the direction of Chef Michael Pierini, the new instructor for the culinary portion of the classes.

“We have been busy and things are moving right along,” Pierini said.

With all the new changes for the department, they have also brought the students and faculty a brand new menu. Culinary Arts is mixing it up a bit with the Café offering both breakfast and lunch.

“It’s not like it was before when we had a different menu everyday, we have added more variety to our menu at the Café,” said Amber Major, Banquet Chef.

For those who might be long time customers to what used to be known as the “cafeteria” and those that didn’t even know that they could get other types of food besides fast food on campus, the Café has something to offer everyone.

The Café has a lunch menu each week consisting of gourmet salads, sandwiches, soups, entrées and desserts. The lunch portion of the Café is open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

“We used to have a different menu each day, now we are doing one menu all week that way it gives the students more of a chance to learn how to cook all the food items on the menu,” Pierini said.

The entrees that you can pick from consist of fish, beef, chicken and a pick from two side dishes for $ 4.75. Salads and sandwiches are $ 4.25.

Also added to the Caf̩ is the breakfast menu. Breakfast is being served from Monday РThursday from 8-10 a.m. Breakfast is only $ 3.75 in the Caf̩.

“We wanted to offer the students a breakfast type menu because no one likes waiting for 15 minutes for breakfast at some of the places on campus,” Major said.

Not many people on campus know that they now offer breakfast, so they are trying to get the word out and promote the new menu at the Café, Major said.

Breakfast menu provides two types of omelets, cheese and a special omelet all served with home fried potatoes.

Also for breakfast on Mondays and Wednesdays, pancakes with butter, syrup and fresh fruit are served and Tuesdays and Thursdays, French toast with butter, syrup and fresh fruit.

The Café is open Mondays- Thursdays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Alicia Edquist, Staff Writer