Phone bank for G.O. bond

Ever sit down to dinner with your family and all of a sudden the phone rings? And its someone is trying to sell you a product or lately to get your vote on a campaign issue or candidate for the primary election.

If your answer was yes, then the Citizens of Cerritos College would also like to hear you say “Yes” on Measure CC for the General Obligation Bond.

The Citizens of Cerritos College have set up a phone bank that opened on Jan 6 and will be running until March 2, which is the date of the primary election.

The phone bank campaign is being used in attempt to get the citizens of the college district to get out and vote on the measure. The bond is important to the Cerritos College District because it will help in renovation cost and the repair of buildings on campus, the construction of additional classrooms, labs, parking, and other instructional facilities to help relieve the overcrowding and accommodate future enrollment demands.

Two things were in play when the phone bank was originally set up. The Associated Students of Cerritos College have donated $150,000 toward the G.O. Bond campaign. Also, the Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital in Whitter has donated a 5,000 square foot suite for the campaign office in Downey. They have offered to also pay for the rent and electricity for the campaign office.

The volunteers for the phone bank have started to call precincts and asking the voters if they will vote yes, no, or undecided on the bond.

But there is a major need for volunteers to come out and make some phone calls for the campaign.

“We need volunteers on Sundays from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Wednesdays, those are our slow nights, but we could use volunteers any night they are available,” said Donna Jones, Campaign Office Manager.

Jones also said that the office is open all the time, so if someone would like to come in the mid-afternoon around 1 p.m. to help volunteer, that would be great.

The phone bank is equipped with 20 phones.

The phone bank is currently trying to identify all the “yes” voters in the district. The first precincts being contacted contain phone numbers in which there is a student or faculty member in the home.

“The main goal is to identify all “Yes” voters for Measure CC,” Jones said.

As of Monday night, there were 3,343 for the bond, 1,293 Undecided and 219 opposing the bond. Also 551 voters have endorsed the G.O. Bond.

There have also been clubs joining in the effort to help out the campaign.

On Monday night, the Cerritos College pep squad volunteered their time and received 300 yes votes for the G.O. Bond in about a two-hour time frame.

On Tuesday night the dance group was at the campaign office making phone calls. Also volunteering at the phone bank are professors, classified employees and the Board of Trustees.

“We are happy to see such a good turn out at the phone bank and look forward to more help,” said Bob Arthur, President of the Board of Trustees, at the Board of Trustees meeting last Wednesday.

Other Board members have also volunteered at the phone bank.

There are two major days that the phone bank will need help for the campaign.

“On Feb. 7 and Feb. 21 we are getting out the vote so we need volunteers,” Jones said.

The desired volunteer time will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and will run in two-hour shifts. Their goal is to receive 1,100 yes votes on each day. For a total of 2,200 for both days.

For more information about the G.O. Bond or the Citizens of Cerritos College and how to get involved in the phone bank, contact Donna Jones by e-mail at [email protected] or at the campaign headquarters at (562) 923-1210. Leave her a message to tell her the time you are available.

Alicia Edquist, Staff Writer