Trustee’s seek partnerships within community

A new automotive partnership is in the works as a presentation was made by Cerritos College President John Grindel at the Board meeting last Wednesday.

Grindel presented the Board with a possible partnership with Southland Motor Car Dealers Association.

Cerritos College has been seen as the most technologically advanced community college in the state and they are ready to push the limits even farther with a new partnership.

Grindel who is usually on the other side of the Board table, presented drawings and some key ideas that they are looking at with the educational partnership with Southland.

The partnership is geared toward the Automotive program at Cerritos. This program will help the many students and professionals get into the automotive industry through certificate programs in management

With the ideas in mind, there would be a goal of opening a dealership on a part of the campus near the automotive program. This facility would have offices, a small show room, and classrooms.

The idea is to train students on the latest technology for the automotive industry along with management classes. There are some new regulations with new fuel ideas that students can be trained on.

“This will give Cerritos College the opportunity for expansion in the Automotive Program,” Grindel said.

This would be a multi-story building built on campus and is estimated to cost up to $19 million. If the General Obligation Bond is passed on March 2, there is a chance that some of the money will go toward the partnership.

This has been in the planning stages for 18 months and is still up for more decisions to be made.

The Board was accepting of the presentation and would like to see more to come at future Board meetings.

“[The Board is] very thrilled about it and to see the artist’s renderings were very nice. Like to see the strong educational component and is ready to see it as an action item on future Board agendas,” Arthur commented.

Also, the Emeritus Program at Cerritos College presented one of its class projects involving Veterans from Military Service.

Nick Kremer, from the Adult Education program presented the Board with testimonials and a video that the class put together.

“This class was designed to help record history of the veterans that have served in war near and far,” Kremer said.

The veterans project was geared toward older citizens that had served for the United States Military.

There was about 10 students from the class in attendance to give some testimontials to the Board and to tell them how this class has helped them.

Sally Gueer, who helped put the project together said, “That we wanted to do something that would honor the veterans.”

The program is also looking at doing another project like this when more of the troops that went to Iraq come home.

Three veterans from three different wars were able to present their feeling about the program.

Lorenzo Ortega, a veteran from the Korean War, said that one of his fondest memories was going under the Golden Gate Bridge and being able to step on American soil again.

He explained to the Board that the class helped us bring out the deep feelings about combat. A trait which men hide and don’t often let show. The class helps veterans open up to each other and be able to talk about what happened

Ortega is very grateful that he has been able to live after the war and for the program to help him open up his feelings about what he saw during the Korean War.

Another student that went by the name of John, who was involved in the Vietnam War said, “that it is the responsibility to these stories written down, so we will never forget the history.”

The program was in partnership with the City of La Mirada. The program will be recognized in March by the State and will come back to let the Board know about the award.

Bob Arthur, President of the Board of Trustees said to the group, “We can never thank you enough for all you’ve done.”

The next Board of Trustees meeting is March 3 at 7 p.m. in the Board room.

Alicia Edquist, Staff Writer