Downey says helloto Bye Bye Birdie

Downey Civic Light Opera makes a nest for the musical “Bye Bye Birdie” as it takes flight Thursday night.

The cast has been preparing for months and is ready to shine. The cast of 43 actors and actresses is a talented young group. The show will sure bring laughs and smiles to the audience.

The dress rehearsal for the show only proved that they were ready for opening night. This energetic cast is full of life and the dance choreography is well put together.

Marsha Moode is the executive producer of the show and Jon Engstrom is the director and choreographer.

The musical is about a songwriter and aspiring English teacher, Albert Peterson (Dink O’Neal), who is trying to get his famous rock’n’roll star Conrad Birdie, who has been drafted by the Army, to appear on the Ed Sullivan Show.

Albert is convinced he can make his fortune and marry his long-time love interest Rosie (Kristen Beth Williams) if he gets Conrad on the TV show to kiss a high school girl goodbye.

Albert’s mother Mae (Brenda Cox), however, will do anything to break him up with Rosie.

Kim MacAfee (Stephanie Wall) and Hugo Peabody, the high school steadies, live in Sweet Apple, Ohio where most of the action takes place. They will use the publicity from this stunt to promote Birdie’s latest hit, “One Last Kiss.”

Albert’s mama is full of life, drama and guilt trips. She loves to make her son feel bad by telling him things as having to take taxis, the bus or even walk to save money for him. She is one of the funniest characters on stage, besides Ursula, who is the best friend of Kim.

The chemistry between Rosie and Albert was passionate yet bold.

There is a lot of physical body movement in the musical which involves lots of timing sequences. The cast works real hard not to get injured during the scenes which have lots of physical comedy in them.

The musical features numerous songs such as “What’s the matter with Kids Today,” “Bye Bye Birdie,” the “Telephone Song (Going Steady),” and “We love you Conrad.”

The musical will play at the Downey Theatre from Thursday through March 6. The show is every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night at 8 p.m. with a Sunday Matinee show at 2:30 p.m. Ticket prices are Orchestra $32 and Balcony $28.

“Bye Bye Birdie” is playing at the Downey Theatre, located 8345 Firestone Blvd. in Downey. For more information about the musical and for tickets call (562) 923-1714.

Alicia Edquist, Staff Writer