Cerritos provides In-N-Out on Welcome Night

Students gathered in Falcon Square on Tuesday night to receive free In-N-Out burgers and listen to music provided by DJ Cory in celebration of Welcome Night for the 2010 Spring Semester. 

The In-N-Out truck, parked across from the Instructional Support Center, began serving food to students who have the current Spring 2010 sticker on their school ID at 5:30 p.m. while DJ Cory provided music and took song requests from the amphitheater stage.

After students picked up their meals consisting of a burger, bag of chips and a cup of soda, some rushed off to evening classes while others were able to stay and listen to a compilation of popular songs currently heard on the radio. 

“It’s awesome,” Juan Pineda, paralegal major, said.  “You’re rewarded for how hard you work and no one should take that for granted.  The music’s not bad.”

Other evening class students, such as Cosmetology major Aura Spencer, expressed gratitude for being given the chance to take part in the Welcome Week festivities. 

“I think it’s a really awesome event—especially for night-time students who feel excluded from college life.”

DJ Cory, a familiar face at Cerritos College, also expressed appreciation for the school’s services to students. 

“I’ve been doing this for six or seven years now and it’s a great way to start the new year.  Students here are very blessed to have a college that does so much for them.  Obviously, I’m a little biased to say I like the music,” he joked.

Welcome Night and Welcome Day have become a tradition at Cerritos College hosted by the ASCC during the first week of every semester. 

Even after several times attending the event, many students are still glad and even surprised to hear the In-N-Out truck and DJ Cory will be back. 

“This is the best time of school life and they should do this more often.  I didn’t know they were coming, it was unexpected,” nursing major Charlie Path said.

“I always dig the free food–a free burger after class is always appreciated.  If anything, it encourages people to get the sticker,” added undeclared major Kimberly Camargo.

Even though some students purchase the ASCC sticker simply to enjoy a free In-N-Out burger for Welcome Week, they inadvertently provide financial support to Cerritos College’s student organizations.

“By them paying and buying the sticker, they help support activities across campus,” Holly Bogdanovich, Director of Student Activities, said.

“We do Welcome Night and Welcome Day to thank people.  They support us, we give them back something they can see,” she added.

Rebeca Vega, Staff Writer