Free medical services held in LA Sports Arena

Courtesy of MCT
Vaccines may also be available at the RAM/LA expedition.

Today marks Day 3 of Remote Area Medical’s free health services clinic at the LA Sports Arena and all appointments have been booked for the remainder of the week-long event, according to an article posted earlier today by the Los Angeles Times.

Organizers began distributing color-coded wristbands for individual services on April 25, a change from RAM’s first L.A. health care expedition in Aug. at The Forum in Inglewood, meant to reduce the number of patients waiting in line overnight.

“This way people can come on their designated day and not worry about long lines just to get in,” said Don Manelli, RAM/LA producer, in a press release.

Last year’s local expedition provided 14,561 services to 6,344 uninsured and underinsured patients, while hundreds of people who had camped out and slept in their cars were turned away.

From now until May 3, organizers were hoping to be able to help an estimated 8,400 people, but a shortage of volunteers has made it difficult to meet the 1,200 patient per day quota.

According to Nancy Montgomery, coordinator at Cerritos College’s student health services, a lack of volunteers is usually not a problem at similar medical services events.

“I volunteered at an event at the Staples Center last year and, there were so many volunteers, they did not need me,” Montgomery said.

The Times also reported that more than 5,600 people waited in line on Sunday and many were told to leave and return by 10 a.m. Wednesday for a chance to receive a non-removable, non-interchangeable wristband.

By 11 a.m. yesterday, the last of the remaining 750 wristbands had been distributed.

While it is estimated that no more appointments will be made, it is certain that RAM/LA organizers are still looking for help from those working in the medical community.

L.A. Times Health Writer Molly Hennessy-Fiske posted a video on Monday with instructions for potential volunteers.

“If you’re a medical professional and you want to volunteer, you can go to the sports arena and sign up there, but you need to bring your [medical] license, or some proof of your [medical] license,” Hennessy-Fiske stated.

A list of California-certified medical specialists needed to provide services at the clinic has been posted on RAM’s web site and consists of: ophthalmologists, optometrists, opticians, dentists, registered dental hygienists, certified dental hygienists, and triage registered nurses/licensed practical nurses.

Available on RAM/LA’s web site is a link to access a PDF document with names, addresses, and phone numbers of L.A. area community clinics that offer free and/or low-cost medical services year round.

For more information regarding RAM/LA, including possible announcements of available wristbands, visit http://www.ramfreeclinic.org/.

Rebeca Vega, Staff Writer