Campus police make case for guns at ASCC Senate meeting

Members of the Associated Students of Cerritos College decided to further discuss the issue of granting campus police officers firearms at the ASCC Senate meeting on Dec. 8.

All 26 senators present at the meeting raised their hand in approval of placing the issue on the agenda for the first ASCC Senate meeting of the spring semester, scheduled to take place on Jan. 10.

The consensus was reached after Cerritos College Campus Police Officer Angel Castillo gave a 35-minute presentation informing students of the hazards he and other CCCPD officers face everyday, as well as the outdated procedures in place at the college.

“Other colleges have information on their homepages on what to do during an active-shooter situation.  There’s nothing like that here at Cerritos College,” Castillo said.

Senators asked questions regarding the process of granting the CCCPD firearms for use when on duty, and voiced a concern that the school should discuss acquiring non-lethal weapons for officers before arming them with firearms.

To this, Castillo responded, “Are you suggesting that if someone shoots a real bullet at me, I shoot a rubber one?” Castillo continued to explain that non-lethal weapons are often only effective at a distance of 35 feet or less, and are less accurate “depending on how the officer uses them.” Castillo also pointed out that certain variables can also play a factor in non-lethal weapons being useless. According to Castillo heavy clothing and weather can both cause some non-lethal weapons to malfunction.

He also notified students that the college’s Board of Trustees makes the ultimate decision on the matter.

Students can attend the board’s public meetings to express their views on the issue and will also have the opportunity to vote before the board does.

“Think about the magnitude and severity of your vote because it doesn’t just affect you,” Castillo concluded, “it affects all the people who follow in your footsteps and the people who work here.”

Student Veterans Club President Chris Markowski encouraged students to get involved in the process as soon as possible by attending Board of Trustees meetings and presenting the topic during the time allotted to public forum presentations.

“The more times you talk to the board, the more it will listen, so one time isn’t going to do it.”

Classified employees are the first constituent group on campus to cast a vote, taking place during several time slots on Dec. 8.

Rebeca Vega, Staff Writer