Students recieve help to get Visa

Arianna Smith

Immigration lawyer Nadadur Kumar talked to international students on Wednesday about maintaining their F-1 status and obtaining employment through statuses such as optional Practical Training (opt), Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and H-1B and how to go about obtaining permanent residency and citizenship. 

Business administration major Sigfredo Corcio came to the United States two years ago from El Salvador as an F-1 student, meaning he could go to school in this country. However, he could only work with permission.

Although he didn’t want citizenship or residency, he wanted to find better options to allow him to work in this country. 

“I would like to keep my student visa. I plan on going back [to my country] after I get my bachelor’s, I would like to know more about the work thing like CPT, OPT, and all that.”

Kumar talked about different visas available like the H-1B visa and the green card, CPT and OPT.

The H-1B visa is a work visa that requires you have a job offer already.

Kumar stated that 55,000 are given out and 20,000 are reserved for those with master’s degrees.

These type of visas are only for those who work in a specialty occupation, meaning a bachelor’s degree is needed for the job. The deadline to apply for this visa is April 1.

CPT is available to a student once they have been enrolled in school for a full academic year full time. The purpose of this status is to provide employment in an internship that is “integral to the established curriculum.”

A student does not need to be enrolled full time to get full time CPT.

Another option is OPT which is a work visa that allows you to work in the field related to a student’s study. There is an application fee and a two month processing fee.

If one is looking to obtain a green card then the employer must prove that they can’t find a U.S. citizen to do the job but it doesn’t apply for the H1B.

Caleb Shen, engineering major, wanted to be better prepared with his future and was hoping to get help from the seminar.

“It would be nice for me to find out how these processes work or how all these things happen it will help me plan out my future.”

Other students like economics major Jihyun Park, who came from South Korea, wanted to transfer but due to the economy, she can’t and so she wanted to get a work visa

“I was planning on transferring,” Park explained, “but the economy got really bad in 2008, so I won’t be able to transfer. I’m looking to get the OPT visa.”

By the end of the seminar, students like business major, Omar Anderson, from Jamaica, seemed to be satisfied, “It was a very informative seminar, Mr. Kumar is very knowledgeable. “

Anderson went on to say, “I think the information was phenomenal and from the reaction from most of the students and the questions asked it seemed like he really touched a serious button in all of us.”

For more info on employment options and even how to contact Kumar, visit the International Students Center located in SS 225 and ask for him.