CSUs set for more enrollment cuts

The California State University system plans to cut enrollment in an effort to adjust to a $500 million cut in state funding.

The plan will reduce enrollment for 10,000 students who are planning on attending any of the CSU’s 23 campuses.

For English major Michael Acuña, this means that he may need to reconsider his transfer choices.

Acuña, who is planning on transferring to Cal State Long Beach, said, “This affects me greatly. The admission GPAs are already really high and they’re just getting higher. Regardless of whether I have the requirements to transfer, I have to stick around just to get some more stuff on my plate.”

Coming from an 18 percent cut in state funding, the Cal State system also plans to cut $11 million from the Chancellor’s Office and reduce campus funding by $281 million, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The cut in state funding could increase to $1 billion if tax extensions proposed by Gov. Jerry Brown do not make the ballot for the special elections to be held in June.

The last time the CSU system cut enrollment was in Nov. 2009, when enrollment was cut by 40,000 students.

According to Transfer Center Co-Director Marvelina Barcelo, the Transfer Center has been advising students regarding the increasing transfer requirements set by the CSU.

Barcelo said, “We have been informing students as they see us. Now, if they don’t see us, they may get mixed messages as to what the cuts mean to them or what they should be doing.”

She also mentioned that she frequently consults students to do more than just meet the bare minimum when it comes to meeting enrollment requirements.

“I always tell students, ‘Don’t shoot for the minimum, always shoot for the best you can do.’

“So, if a ‘B’ is the best that they can do, then they know that’s the best.”

Transfer Center Counselor Brittany Lundeen suggests that students take a look at other schools as an alternative to the upcoming enrollment cuts.

“The key is that students need to look at other options,” Lundeen said, “They need to consider some of the UC campuses that still have some availability to them.”

She also suggested that if students insist on attending a CSU, they should consider schools that may still have availability such as Cal State Northridge and Cal State Dominguez Hills.

Criminal justice major Ashley Garcia, who hopes to transfer to Cal State Los Angeles, understands that the cuts may prove to be a setback for her transfer goals.

“It’s going to be harder because I know they’re (the CSUs) going to go for the highest GPA so it’s going to be a bigger issue than it already is,” Garcia said.

Barcelo’s recommendation for students is that they see a counselor in order to keep track of their transfer progress.

“I would have them ask a counselor to let them know what their transfer grade point average is so they know how much more they need to be improving.

“If they want to improve their grade point average, they should ask their counselor what strategies they could use to get the best GPA as possible.”

Victor Diaz, Editor in Chief