Cerritos College Trustee passes away at 62

Courtesy of cerritos.edu

Cerritos College Trustee Bob Epple passed away April 13 at the age of 62 from complications of Leukemia.

Epple, a former Cerritos College student, served on the Board of Trustees from 1981-1988 and returned to the board in 2004 after the passing of his wife, Cheryl.

Board Vice President Bob Arthur shared his thoughts on Epple, appreciating his experience and knowledge of Cerritos College as a former student and board member.

“His knowledge and history of this campus will never be replaced,” Arthur said.

Regarding Epple’s work while on serving on the board, Cerritos College President Dr. Linda Lacy said, “He was always the one who could analyze a situation, take in all the facts and you didn’t see any impartiality with him.”

Epple served in the U.S. Army for four years after graduating from Excelsior High School. After leaving the Army, Epple attended Cerritos College, where he graduated in 1974 with an associate’s degree in economics.

While attending Cerritos, Epple worked in the campus bookstore and met his first wife, Cheryl. He also earned an ASCC Silver Falcon award.

Epple continued to work on campus after his graduation and pursued his law degree. He finally became an attorney in 1979.

Aside from serving on the board, Epple was elected to the 63rd district of the California State Assembly, in which he served in until 1994.

One of Epple’s contributions to the Board of Trustees includes helping rewrite the policies and procedures manual of the board.

A memorial service was held for Epple on April 25 at the New Life Community Church in Artesia, in which family members and colleagues were able to share their thoughts and condolences.

Board member Dr. Ted Edmiston had an opportunity to speak at the service and dedicated his work on the board to Epple.

“I will continue to serve in his name and with his principles,” Edmiston said.

Arthur, who also spoke at the service, described Epple as “a friend to many Cerritos College students” and as someone who, “was always ready to discuss any item on his mind.”

Throughout the service, a slideshow was playing which displayed pictures highlighting Epple’s life, including pictures of his childhood, his high school years, his time in the military and the time he spent with family.

Denyne Kowalski, a former co-worker of Epple who spoke at the service, said, “When you met Bob Epple, you met a friend.”

Epple is survived by his daughter Nicole, his wife Colleen and several members of his family.

Victor Diaz, Editor in Chief