Students take advantage of Student Success Center

News+Button
Pete Moye’
News Button

Pete Moye’
News Button

More and more Cerritos College students are electing to take advantage of some of the many services that the Cerritos administration offers to students to ensure student success. One of the most popular is the student success center.

While the success center has gone by different names over the years, and has also moved to different locations on campus, it has been a viable option for many years.

The success center, which was originally named the academic support center, and was limited to math, and additional subjects based on demand, now offers all types of math tutoring as well as language, reading, and writing tutoring as well.

Once an untapped resource, the success center has begun to be utilized by students in need of tutoring, workshops, as well as those seeking quiet time to study.

Many of the student success center faculty also attends Cerritos College as students as well.

Journalism major Andy Mendizabal, who also serves as an instructional aide for the math portion of the student success center commented on the goal of the program.

“The goal is to make sure that students know that they have somewhere to go to get help. No one should ever say that they did not know where they could get help at, or there was no help available because we are here.”

Students are beginning to seek out the success center, which is evident because the math section of the success center averages anywhere from 20 to 40 students at a time.

Both the math and language departments of the success center offer workshops geared to help students succeed.

Intermediate typist clerk of the English/language side of the success center, and Chicano studies major discussed some of the services offered saying.

“We also have workshops on how to writing a research paper, writing introductions and conclusions. We have a variety of workshops that are geared to help students succeed.”

Even the students that work in the success center find the services that are offered to be helpful. The success center also offers language assistance for ESL students that are seeking a bit of additional assistance.

Instructional aide, and law major Claudia Babon commented on how the success center helps her saying, “For me being a former ESL [English as a second language] student, it has been helping me also because now I can really take advantage of everything that we have here.”

Students that desire a calm quiet place to get help with work, or even just a quiet place to study are now able to take advantage of what the success center has to offer.

Sociology major Diego Carrillo discussed the benefits of the environment saying, “This is a place where I can come and just get down to business without a lot of distractions around because it’s really quiet here.”

Patrick Dolly, Staff Writer