Twelve instructors recognized as outstanding faculty

Lauren Gandara
Speech instructor Angela Hoppe-Nagao hugs Sofia, her youngest daughter, after receiving the Most Outstanding Faculty award on Thursday. Hoppe-Nagao was one of twelve faculty members who were acknowledge at the Outstanding Faculty Award at the Cerritos College Student Center.

Talon Marks Online News

Faculty members were recognized at The Outstanding Faculty Awards on Thursday at the Student Center.

The faculty members who were recognized are:

• Craig Breit for Mass Communications
  • Dani Carroll for Dental Hygiene
  • Dr. Stephen Clifford for English
  • Dr. Kimberley Duff for Psychology
  • Christine Ersig-Marcus for Speech
  • Walter Hammerwold for Mass Communications
  • Mark Hugen for Mathematics
  • Michelle Lewellen for Psychology
  • Manuel Lopez for Mathematics
  • Dr. Francie Quaas-Berryman for English
  • Lynn Serwin for English

The recipients received their award from Debra Moore and Nina Motruk.

Other awards given out at the ceremony were 25 years of service given to, Robert Chester and Lucia Coulter for Liberal Arts and Barbara Soden for Business, Humanities and Social Services, as well as 35 years of service given to Jeanine Prindle for Health, Physical Education, Dance and Athletics.

The years of service awards were presented by Dr. Marilyn Brock.

Among those recipients were many students who went to see faculty members recognized for their work.

Dean of Academic Success, Bryan Reece, said that “it was nice” and was impressed with how many students participated in the award ceremony, he also thinks that each recipient deserved their award.

Reece said, “I know each of them personally. They all do a fantastic job in the classroom and outside the classroom.”

Speech instructor Angela Hoppe-Nagao, who is also Chair of the Speech Department that was recognized as Most Distinguished Faculty.

This award was presented by Erik Duane of Information Technology.

Reece stated that Hoppe-Nagao deserves her award, “She is a very good teacher in the classroom and a very good chair for the department.”

Kataherine Lewis, dental hygiene major heard that her dental hygiene instructor Dani Carroll was going to be recognized for her work as an instructor and came with others to show support for her.

“She is a great professor and we just wanted to see her there and cheer for her.”

Recipient Craig Breit spoke about his award, “With any award especially in this nature you can’t feel anything but good.”

He has said that his peers have been very supportive and that someone came up to him saying “Isn’t this about your fifth time?” When in fact it is just his second time winning the award, his first was 20 years ago.

Lauren Gandara
Lauren Gandara, Editor in Chief
Hello, my name is Lauren Gandara and this is my fifth semester providing content for Talon Marks. After being a section editor for three years in a row since Fall 2011, I decided to take a semester off and did some freelance work. Coming back from taking a semester off, this is my final year as a member of the newspaper before I graduate as a journalism major. After leaving Cerritos College, my goal is to attend the University of Southern California and study telecommunications with a minor in fashion. After obtaining my Bachelor's, my goal is to become an on-camera reporter for E! News.