Religious groups preach on campus

Jonathan Garza
Jason Roberts, a Marine Corps trainer, travels with his religious group to visit colleges and preach about Christian faith. Last week the group traveled to Fullerton College.

Religious groups walking around campus, yelling at students about the word of God and eternal life are a common occurrence around the Cerritos College campus.

However, students feel that the way these groups go about preaching their beliefs might not be the best way to reach out to them.

On Wednesday, two men from an anonymous religious group came onto the campus in order to preach their Christian faith. One carried a sign while the other stood in Falcon Square and preached to students sitting on “The Hill.” Both also handed out pamphlets.

Marine Corps trainer Jason Roberts, who held the sign and handed out pamphlets, said he was on campus to “share the gospel.”

He stated that different people from local churches and religious groups get together and go to different areas and different college campuses in order to preach to students about becoming one with their faith.

Roberts said that he and his partner visited Fullerton College the day before. Their reason for visiting Cerritos College was that “lots of students, lots of people need to hear that there’s coming the day of judgement but God’s rich in mercy today if they turn to him (God).”

He carried the sign which had the phrase, “Sin Brings God’s Wrath” and handed out pamphlets on the importance of reading the Bible and praying, while his partner, Minister Tatsuo Akamine, professed his beliefs and the importance of faith to students.

As for the effect their preaching has on students, Roberts said, “When he’s (Akamine) proclaiming the truth and telling people of the truth, there’s only some (students) that absolutely reject and with disdain, but God’s going to move to the heart of someone.”

Akamine stated his reason for projecting his beliefs toward the students is so he can reach to a broader audience.

“I think a lot of people listen because of the kind of responses I get, whether negative or positive.”

Someone who disagrees with Akamine’s method is nursing major Antwanae Hilt, who feels that his yelling toward students isn’t the best way to go about professing faith.

“You’re just yelling and people might not understand what you’re saying.”

She feels that most students don’t pay attention to what these groups have to say because they are at school. It’s about what you’re doing in your classes rather than discussing what you believe in.

Unlike Hilt, graphic design major Diego Colmenares admires what Akamine is doing.

“I’m a Christian myself and I think it takes a lot of courage for him to stand there.”

Colmenares stated that while yelling to students might not be the best approach, at the same time it might be the only chance students will get to hear the gospel.

“It’s not about church, it’s not about religion, it’s about a relationship with God through his son, Jesus Christ,” said Roberts.

Lauren Gandara, Editor in Chief
Hello, my name is Lauren Gandara and this is my fifth semester providing content for Talon Marks. After being a section editor for three years in a row since Fall 2011, I decided to take a semester off and did some freelance work. Coming back from taking a semester off, this is my final year as a member of the newspaper before I graduate as a journalism major. After leaving Cerritos College, my goal is to attend the University of Southern California and study telecommunications with a minor in fashion. After obtaining my Bachelor's, my goal is to become an on-camera reporter for E! News.
Jonathan Garza, Online Editor
Hello everybody, My name is Jonathan Garza. I am a second-term online editor of the Talon Marks brand for the fall 2013 semester. Former titles I have held at Talon Marks include: associate sports editor, co-sports, sports, managing and online. Outside of Talon Marks I have six years of journalistic experience, which include being the editor-in-chief and owner of WCBSports.com, a sports website with a west coast bias, the former EIC and part-owner of DodgersNation.com, and a contributor to LakersNation.com. My hobbies include: Bowling, Hiking, Basketball, Video Games and Writing, among other things. I am a lover of all sports and an especially big fan of the Los Angeles Dodgers, UCLA Athletics, Los Angeles Lakers and Peyton Manning (currently of the Denver Broncos). My goal is for my website, which stands for West Coast Bias Sports, to become a household name, and to see it become a reputable brand. I'd also love to work for ESPN some day covering all types of sports, and sharing my love for them with the world.