Williams-Manser leads health and safety conference

With having no extra speakers present, Project HOPE Program Assistant Danylle Williams-Manser was left to just herself and only six attendees during a Health and Safety Conference on Saturday.

“We [Project HOPE members] were hoping to have more attendees, but I am glad that those who attended felt that they received a lot of valuable information.”

The conference was designed to bring awareness to students and the general public about how to plan for a disaster or an emergency.

For the first portion of the event Williams-Manser was hoping to have the American Red Cross come speak about how to make a plan before an emergency occurs.

According to Williams-Manser, the organization called a day in advance to say that it would not be able to send someone out to the conference.

“We were greatly disappointed that the Red Cross cancelled at the last minute, particularly considering how important it is for people to learn how to prepare themselves for emergencies and disasters. While we realize that the Red Cross presentations are conducted by volunteers, it would still have been nice to have had them show up for the presentation,” Williams-Manser said.

Williams-Manser went on to say that she hopes the American Red Cross will still help and volunteer for future events.

In lieu of the speaker from the American Red Cross, Williams-Manser used its website to display information to the attendees.

The information given through the website went into detail on how to plan in the event of an emergency or disaster, it broke down this plan into specific areas of a person’s life, including:

• Children
  • People with disabilities
  • Pets
  • Seniors
  • School
  • Workplace

The website breaks down key details for each aspect, some of which include what to pack for children, where to take your pets if you cannot return home, and how to make a kit to fit into your workplace.

Psychology major Daniel Perez is an active member of the program feels like he is prepared for an emergency and can use this knowledge as a tool to help others.

“I’ve had training in the military. I go to workshops like this. I’m proactive. I’m an advocate for myself, my friends and family. I kind of pick up the slack, so if they are not willing to wake up on a Saturday and nine in the morning and learn about this stuff then at least I can. I can help them because I’m caring,” Perez said.

Williams-Manser also showed a video put together by the city of Houston,Texas, “Run, Hide, Fight” that demonstrated an active shooter at a workplace.

It shows viewers how to respond in that sort of situation, with such tips as: evacuate, hide out and take action.

The video also provided information on how to cope with the situation, how to profile an active shooter, and how to spot the characteristics of the situation.

Although Project HOPE put on this conference, Perez feels there is more that Cerritos College’s staff and faculty members can do to spread the word to students about being prepared for an emergency.

“I think they are doing a good job, but they are too relaxed about it, and the students can pick up on that. If the staff doesn’t take it seriously then how can you expect the students to see the importance in it and take it serious as well?”

For more information on how to plan for an emergency go to the Red Cross’s website.

Alexandra Scoville, Editor in Chief
Spring 2014 My name is Alexandra Scoville, I am the editor-in-chief of the Talon Marks brand. This is my fourth semester on staff. I took a semester off in Fall 2013 and focused on taking a photography class and an audio class. I’m eager to use those skills for this semester of Talon Marks. When I am not in class or at school I’m usually watching wrestling or going to a live show. That’s like half my life. I’m interested in photography, writing and design. I plan on transferring to Cal State Fullerton and hope to teach a journalism class in the future.