Theme announced at Homecoming Luncheon

Daniel Quintero

This year’s homecoming theme and schedule were among the things discussed at the annual homecoming kick-off luncheon Thursday.

Excitement ran high as this year’s homecoming theme was announced to be “Comic Con.”

“I want to scream out loud,” said German Sanchez, president of the sci-fi club. “There’s a theme that caters to the nerds of Cerritos College.”

Student activity coordinator Amna Jara helped pick the theme, taking input from student leaders and discussing it with staff.

“We wanted something new and something broad so we can have really good floats,” Jara said.

Participating clubs will have a budget of $400 to build a float that fits with this year’s theme.

While the theme is expected to bring in creative floats, some clubs are finding it difficult to come up with ideas.

“Our first thought was what are we going to do,” math club co-advisor Angie Conley said. “Who’s the superhero that uses math?”

With last year’s theme being Broadway musicals and the previous year’s being rock ‘n’ roll, the music club is up for a challenge.

“Since there aren’t any musical superheroes, we don’t know what exactly can relate to us,” music club president Gabriel Garcia said.

Some clubs have already started brainstorming on float ideas.

Sanchez said he’s leaning toward something that not many people are going to see and something that is “’interesting to do visually,’ such as ‘Godzilla.’”

According to Sanchez, who is also vice president of the anime club, the anime club is planning to do something based on the anime “Attack on Titan.”

The math club has also started brainstorming with Conley, hinting that “it’s going to be a superhero that has brains just as much as (he has) brawns.”

Not all clubs are planning on participating in this year’s homecoming activities.

Cosmetology club president Celina Gonzalez said that due to its busy schedule, the cosmetology club might not participate in the float building activities.

The speech and debate club is also expected to be absent from this year’s homecoming.

“We would like to participate, but we have tournaments coming up in September,” vice president of speech and debate Miles Aiello said. “It takes a lot of prep. It takes a lot of time, so I don’t think we will be participating this year.”

Clubs will also be able to choose to sponsor someone for the homecoming court.

Homecoming applications will be available on Sept. 23 in the Student Activities office and will be due on Oct. 2 at 9 a.m.

The homecoming court will be introduced in the Student Center on Oct. 15 in the Student Center.

There will also be Homecoming Activities Night in the Social Science Building patio on Oct. 16 at 6 p.m.

Float building will commence on Oct. 21 at the visitor side of Falcon Stadium and will last until Oct. 25.

The homecoming game against Ventura will take place Oct. 26 at 7 p.m. at the Cerritos College Football Stadium. Floats will be judged at 9 a.m. at the stadium.

Daniel Quintero
Daniel Quintero, Staff Writer
Hey, I'm Daniel! I'm a journalism major and this is my first semester here at Talon Marks. I aspire to work in the entertainment industry, hopefully as an E! News correspondent. In my spare time I like to shop, blog, and watch terrible movies on Netflix. I also love spending my time at Disneyland. I hope this experience helps me grow as a journalist.