Sanchez permitted to run despite infraction

After a presidential election board special meeting, that took about 5 hours and split between two days, ASCC Vice President Aldemar Sanchez will be allowed to continue to run for student body president despite an infraction that he committed.

Sanchez failed to turn in his statement within the 24-hour window that is given after the candidate’s application is turned in, which would cause the application to be void.

However, the board overturned that ruling and allowed Sanchez to be able to run, but he will not be able to officially start his campaign until April 2, which is four days after the other candidates will start their campaigns.

Senator Miles Aiello is also running in the presidential election and doesn’t feel that the punishment matches the violation that was committed.

“With the penalty that the candidate has received…it is completely insufficient because the fact that there is no real way for the election board to validate and to make sure that the candidate is not campaigning,” Aiello said.

Ryan Morris is the campaign manager for Miles Aiello and doesn’t understand why there was even an argument due to the fact that is was a rule on a contract that Sanchez signed.

“One of those violations clearly stating that if you don’t turn in your statement within 24 hours of the packet submission with your signatures, your application is void and nil,” Morris said. “It is a very clear statement.”

Daniel Gomez is a senator for the Student Senate of California for Community Colleges was at the meeting and feels that Sanchez should be able to run, but feels that the ruling sends a sour message.

“It’s just going to send a message of miscommunication. It’s going to set a bad precedent,” Gomez said. “So next year and the year after that, something similar is going to happen.”

While Sanchez has a setback when it comes to his campaign, he looks at it with a positive point of view and takes this as a learning experience.

“It’s going to be fine, because we have the rest of that week and the following week before campaigning starts,” he said. “Any penalty they would’ve put on us would have been fine, because we are still allowed to run.”

The presidential orientation will take place on March 25 and the candidates will be able to start campaigning from March 27 until the election starts on April 16.

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
My name Gustavo Olguin and I am currently the managing editor at Talonmarks at Cerritos College. Interested in sports and working in front of the camera as a reporter. I'm majoring in journalism and transferring in the Fall of 2014. This is my last semester with Talon Marks and Cerritos College, so if you don't know my face by now, I have failed you.