Diversity week does not start off on the right foot

Day two of diversity week at Falcon Square. Students recycled to recieve an eco-friendly plastic cup. Photo credit: Grester Celis-Acosta

Diversity Week began this week on Monday, April 21 and will end on Thursday, April 24. It is a four-day event that will have activities for students to participate in and will be located at Falcon Square in Cerritos College.

The event did not start off on the right foot.

On Monday, the first day of the event was scheduled to have a variety of clubs holding fund raisers and giving students information about their club and what they will be doing throughout Diversity Week.

According to Aracely Lopez, a member of Operation Outreach, other clubs cancelled last minute due to Easter Sunday.

The only group that was out on Falcon Square on Monday was Operation Outreach.

The second day of Diversity Week was Earth Day. This event began from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. It started off with council members from Norwalk, board members from Cerritos College and the-Go Green committee all meeting up at the Student Center and presented what the Go-Green committee has been doing over the semester.

According to Juan Ramirez, the Associated Students of Cerritos College president, said that he wants Cerritos College to start a partnership with the city of Norwalk to help the Go-Green committee and what they are trying to achieve in there program to become a success.

Miles Aiello, the Co-Chair of the Go-Green committee, said that some of their future plans include to insert more recycling bins around campus and also trying to hire more students to their committee so that they can become recycling technicians, which includes pay of $12.15 an hour.

After the meeting, both the Go-Green committee and Operation Outreach held a recycling event for students on campus. Students brought either four plastic bottles or four cans to recycle and in return they received a reusable eco-friendly plastic cup.

Jose Santana chemical engineering major said, “I think it’s really cool that the school is trying to take steps towards eco-friendliness and I think it’s a good steps toward (that).”

Valarie Corral, paralegal major said, “It’s cool, it’s fun (and) obviously it’s very environmentally conscious.”

An eco-friendly car that was provided by GM. Rochelle Desamito, a contract employee for GM, said that the car is here to show that there’s more to just gasoline and that the car runs on no emissions so it helps the world.

Diversity Week will continue throughout the week with Global Village being held on Wednesday and on Thursday, with free food handed out to students.

Each club will represent a country and will be selling items from the country.

Students will have an opportunity to win a prize and recieve food if they present a school I.D.

Grester Celis-Acosta, Managing Editor
I am Grester Celis-Acosta, I will the Managing Editor for Fall 2015. This will also be my third and final semester at Talon Marks and Cerrtios College. A little bit about me is that I love video games and music preferably hip hop. When I’m not busy with school I either play some video games or I just listen to music and relax. Twitter: @GresterC
Instagram: @gresterc23