Dr. Tydell introduces advanced Biology seminars

Photo credit: Larissa Calderon

On Tuesday, Aug. 26, Dr. Chase Tydell, assistant professor in the Biology department, held a meeting to discuss the Advanced Biology Seminars. She will be presenting these seminars for the first time at Cerritos College this fall semester.

According to Dr. Tydell, the purpose for these seminars is to provide students who are interested in careers in medicine or research with “personal training and to maximize the students ability to excel when they transfer.”

She emphasizes the importance of attending these seminars, because they not only look good on a resume, but it would also provide the students with the confidence they will need in their field when they transfer.

There will be two seminars held this semester – Medical Research, date and time yet to be decided, and Strange Biology every Friday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.

The Medical Research Advanced seminar will focus on biology and physiology through a scientist’s perspective. In this seminar, a student will learn how to read a scientific paper and other skills the student will need in the medical or research field.

The Strange Biology seminar will be a different, a more creative approach to biology and physiology. Students will be exploring extreme organisms and learning how they can sustain life without necessarily following “the rules” of biology.

In order to participate, students must complete the program application, which is on Dr.Tydell’s personal website www.cerritos.edu/ctydell, a personal statement, provide transcripts and a recommendation from a STEM faculty member.

Along with these requirements, students must also have a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or better. They must have passed Math 80, Chemistry 110, English 100 and either Biology 120 or Anatomy and Physiology 120 with at least B.

Meeting the application requirements, though, does not necessarily guarantee a spot in either seminar. If a student’s application is accepted, they are required to set up an in-person interview with Dr. Tydell before the final selection. Each student is only permitted to one seminar per semester and can possibly participate in one every semester if the student is invited.

Veronica Williams, biology major and an applicant of the seminars, shared her enthusiasm, “I took a pre-pharm program before this and it was ‘oh my god.’ It was really overwhelming, but from there, we learned a little bit of bio and chem at the same time. I really loved bio after that, so I was like ‘this sounds tight.’ And, plus, that strange biology was very eye-catching.”

Dr.Tydell wants the students that participate in these seminars to be eager and committed to their future careers in the science and medical fields.

“There is no grade. There are no units assigned to it. So, the only reason for students to participate is because they want someone to help them prepare more. This is the opportunity for them to raise their game,” she said. .

Larissa Calderon
Larissa Calderon, Staff Writer
Fall 2014 My name is Larissa Calderon, I am twenty years old, and this semester marks my third year in community college. I am especially excited for this fall semester because it will be the first time I will be involved in the school newspaper on campus. Recently I decided I wanted to be a Journalism major, so I know being in the school newspaper will really give me a hands on experience in my field of study. I am originally from Riverside county, which is mainly a suburb/desert area. Very hot. Very boring. So I am definitely enjoying the change of pace out here in Los Angeles County. Although I would hardly call living in Downey "City Life". None the less, I am looking forward to meeting new interesting people and making good memories here at Cerritos College.