Cabinet Meeting| Sept. 15

While the Associated Students of Cerritos College took great pride in the success of Falcon Gameday at the Monday, Sept. 15, Cabinet meeting, the discussion soon turned to the future of other planned events.

Talks this week focused on events that are already in motion, ranging from the upcoming Constitution Day to next month’s Zombie Fest. The ASCC also included brief talks of using WPMD to help promote events on campus.

Zombie Fest gained new members, including the Artists’ Society who has promised to help students who volunteer with zombie make-up. A costume and pumpkin carving contest were also planned to be included before the actual Zombie Fest takes place that day.

When the topic of the future of the Fall banquet, the members of the cabinet were divided on whether or not the banquet will continue. Dr. Gilbert Contreras, dean of student services, openly opposed the idea of the banquet continuing.

“The banquet costs $13,500, and that is money we could be using to improve the school and help students graduate,” objected Contreras. “I want to see more students graduating and walking across that stage.”

Contreras also was opposed on the way scholarships are awarded at the banquet, stating that mainly members of the ASCC receive the awards, calling the event a “popularity contest at times.”

While members heard Contreras’ points, no plans were made to cancel the event. Instead, the cabinet explained the use of service records, a type of paperwork that would keep track of hours the students applying for those scholarships of the Fall banquet have volunteered for.

“This year, we are all going to face issues. God knows that it happens,” ASCC Student Body President Miles Aiello said to the other cabinet members as he handed out cards containing some of the virtues he hopes the cabinet will live up to.”

He added, “But I feel confident that this team help each other.”

End discussions included the plan for the installation of multiple bulletin boards around campus, including the library entrance, the Fine Arts building and the Elbow Room.

The bulletin boards would be used to pass along info to students at the various locations, or to be used by students for the sale of textbooks or housing information.

“There’s a lot of useful information being passed here. Useful information,” Cristian Hernandez, kinesiology major said. “If students are interested in their school, they should come to cabinet meetings.”

ASCC Cabinet meets every Monday 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. in room BK 111.

Carlos Holguin, Staff Writer
This is Carlos Holguin's fourth semester with the paper and he couldn't be happier to continue. When not writing or taking photos for the paper Carlos is the creator and host of The Weekly Geek, a podcast informing students on recent music, movie, and gaming news. Carlos has also been know to partake in theater here at Cerritos College.