Fall of the Fall Banquet?

Costing $13,500, the annual Fall Banquet awards students of the fall semester with scholarships to further their academic career. While not as many students apply for scholarships in the fall as they do for the Spring Banquet, the importance of the Fall Banquet has recently been in question by various members of the board.

“With more students applying in the spring than in the fall, I think we should keep the banquet,” Commisioner of Student Outreach Araceli Lopez stated. “We need to make sure students get a equal oppurtunity to apply.”

If plans for the Fall Banquet continue, the ASCC has decided to implement the use of service records to track the amount of hours volunteered at school events. The more hours volunteered, the better the students’ service records will appear.

Service records will also be used to help eliminate any bias when it came to deciding previous scholarship winners in previous semesters.

“I was part of the group that decided who granted scholarships to last semester, and I can honestly say there was some bias,” Lopez said.

It was evident that there was bias in the selection process of who would earn some of those rewards and scholarships so I would have to agree with that statement

— Miles Aiello, student body president

“It was evident that there was bias in the selection process of who would earn some of those rewards and scholarships so I would have to agree with that statement,” Student Body President Miles Aiello expressed.

“Specifically I’m not too sure I know if there were certain individuals in the committee who favored others because they hung out together or whatnot,” Aiello continued. ”

While the bias should be concern amongst, ASCC has asserted that this was a practice that was not going to continue.

“The rightful individuals who did contribute a lot to ASCC in terms of volunteering and terms of promotions and marketing, they didn’t get what they deserved. So we’re trying to fix that this year.”

An official decision has not yet been made on the future of the Fall Banquet, but with the event approaching within the next few months, cabinet will be discussing the event in upcoming board meetings.

ASCC cabinet meeting occur every Monday in BK 111 at 2 p.m. and students are welcome to sit in.

Carlos Holguin, Staff Writer
This is Carlos Holguin's fourth semester with the paper and he couldn't be happier to continue. When not writing or taking photos for the paper Carlos is the creator and host of The Weekly Geek, a podcast informing students on recent music, movie, and gaming news. Carlos has also been know to partake in theater here at Cerritos College.