Homecoming elections begin, Mock Rally pokes fun at candidates

The first day of Homecoming elections took place on Wednesday, Oct. 15, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Social Science Building Patio and in front of the Student Center.

Elaine Alpenia was one of the volunteers at the voting poll located in the Social Science Patio and explained how this year it has been slower than other years.

“(It’s) not very well for the Homecoming; it’s usually more,” Alpenia said.

The Mock Rally was going on, as well, with the candidates getting poked fun at by their individual male counterparts.

Even then, the turnout was not as expected as Alpenia said.

After the Mock Rally, all the campaigners started doing their part and walked around campus to encourage everyone to vote.

Wendy Sixtos, who represents the Child Development Club, was on her own, campaigning to get her votes.

Se had to step out of her comfort zone.

“I’m usually really shy, so this is a really great experience for me. (I) like to try to get to talk to people and get to know people,” she said.

She also said that even if people don’t vote for her, she still gives students candy.

Others can take their campaigning tactics in a funnier and silly way. Queer Straight Alliance representative Ariel Hughes, who is also running for Homecoming queen, explained her tactic.

“Especially people with skateboards,” she started. “I totally run in front of them and I’m like ‘wait, wait, wait, wait, wait! Now where do I think you are headed to? You’re headed to go and vote for me,’” Hughes jokingly said.

Hughes also mentioned that it works for her about 95 percent of the time.

Marnie Arcilla from the Kabarkada club has more of a different tactic.

“I have my friends network with their friends and who they know,” she said.

Other then having her friends network, she also walks around campus in a group to get attention and talk to students to vote for her.

The Homecoming queen will be decided Saturday, Oct. 18, at the Homecoming game during halftime at Falcon Stadium.

Gildardo Aquino, Staff Writer
Fall 2014 Hello, I’m Gildardo Aquino Jr. also known as DJ DEMO. I am a Broadcast media major. This is my 3rd semester with Talon Marks and every semester I learn something different with the brand that helps me better my craft in radio, journalism and communicating with the real world. My passion is music and entertaining you guys! I am an On-Air mixer on 93.5 KDAY (Los Angeles, CA) every Saturday night from Midnight – 2 a.m. So tune in! Other than that I am a fun person to be with and I love to help others and enjoy life to the fullest! If you see me around say “Hello” and follow me on social media @djdemo99