New student jobs in ASCC raise concerns

Dean of Student Services Gilbert Contreras expressed his desire to address the concerns of ASCC Senators regarding the appointment of paid positions to ASCC President Miles Aiello and Vice President Charles Caguioa.

The positions of Student Affairs Assistants were approved as short-term hourly employment, with a rate of $14.32/hr by the Board of Trustees on Jan. 21.

Trustee John Paul Drayer, “This came as such a surprise and I can see potential conflicts of interests there,”

Drayer added that one his concerns was how the positions were not offered to other students in student government.

“I think students [leaders] should be paid but it should be fair,” he added.

Contreras was glad that students are concerned and aware of the happenings on campus.

“It’s something to be mindful of but the way it’s designed now there is not a conflict of interest,” said Contreras.

He added that these position can be in any department including the Financial Aid office, the library as well as in ASCC.

“It’s something Miles has to be mindful of when we create the job duties of the President and Vice President,” he added.

The hiring of Aiello and Caguioa is part of Contreras’s plan to push for more student jobs on campus. He since accomplished bringing 12 jobs in his department for students.

Contreras wanted to make clear that Aiello and Caguioa are not hired as president and vice president. Their duties will be delineated from the positions.

One of these duties is to lead the effort in student engagement which along with the purchase of mini Ipads, will make surveying and engaging students on decisions like what to do with the game room.

“Certainly there is a possibility of a conflict of interest we’re not denying that, we’re going to ensure we do everything in our power so that’s not the case,” said ASCC President Miles Aiello.

Gustavo Lopez
Gustavo Lopez, Online Editor
I have coffee for blood and I'm not entirely sure I'm human anymore. I sort of stumbled into journalism and Talon Marks but I'm glad I did because I've always lacked direction, even though I've always been told I'm "smart." I've never really felt smart, more like the world doesn't make sense and I'm just trying to make sense of it. I'm a huge gamer and geek and the very model of a scientist Salarian. One thing you'll hear me say usually after several cups of coffee is either "I am Krogan" or "it had to be me, someone else would have gotten it wrong." I hope the editors and the new staff learn from my past mistakes, as well the ones that came before. I wish everyone the best in whatever they may pursue. Let's kick some ass, write good news and show them Talon Marks is more than just the newspaper. We're a team and family. This is Goose signing off, go get'em.