Fierro’s first board meeting approves big change for students

President of Cerritos College Jose Fierro attended his first Board of Trustee meeting as the president on Thursday, July 15. All the members of the board welcomed him and congratulated him.

“I think it was a good and healthy discussion, so I think it went well,” said Fierro.

The next Board of Trustee meeting will be held on Wednesday, August 19.

The meeting opened up with comments from the audience, where people from the attendees make comments to the board about anything they wish to address.

Within this portion of the meeting, the Associated Student of Cerritos College President Eduardo De La Rosa went up to the podium to announce a couple of things.

One of the announcements he made was that the hydration stations implemented back in May, have saved 11,056 bottles since they have been placed.

Other announcements were that the school library will be closing at 10 p.m. at the start of fall semester and that ASCC is aiming to place more hydration stations around campus such as the gym and in the new buildings that are being constructed on campus.

The most important item that was approved by the board was a resolution to support funding into potentially giving students the opportunity to get free transit passes.

The name of the resolution is the State Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund for Implementation by Transit Operators of a Transit Pass Program for College.

Board of Trustee Marisa Perez, the trustee who requested that this resolution be on the agenda said, “The idea would be that there is some sort of transit pass, so every student who registers here at Cerritos College… would be offered some sort of transit pass.”

Perez went on to say that the money will be coming from the state, but that this is the first step into helping benefit students.

Grester Celis-Acosta, Managing Editor
I am Grester Celis-Acosta, I will the Managing Editor for Fall 2015. This will also be my third and final semester at Talon Marks and Cerrtios College. A little bit about me is that I love video games and music preferably hip hop. When I’m not busy with school I either play some video games or I just listen to music and relax. Twitter: @GresterC
Instagram: @gresterc23