ASCC helps students stay organized for free

Amanda Del Cid
ASCC handed out free agendas for the 2015-2016 school year. Along with the agendas students were informed about the vacant student government positions and new students were given maps. Photo credit: Amanda Del Cid

As Cerritos College students waltzed from class to class, their attention was called by the voices of student leaders handing out freebies.

The Associated Students of Cerritos College handed out planners for the 2015-2016 academic year to students who had their updated ID sticker on Monday, Aug. 17 and Tuesday, Aug. 18 at Falcon Square.

According to Kadie Gurley, ASCC senator, three boxes of approximately 40 planners each total had been distributed on Monday and the same number were distributed on Tuesday in just an hour and a half.

The new orange ID sticker provided students with a free agenda, while maps were handed out for the new students trying to find classes.

“It’s definitely a money saver,” environmental engineering major Elisabeth Cortez said.

Skyler Browne, Dental Hygiene major said, “I love having the planners, they’re really helpful, I had one last year. It’s a really nice planner, it really helps with organizing for tests especially when you take multiple classes.”

Alan Rodriguez, member of Operation Outreach, explained, “[We’re] informing [students] about student government, the jobs, […] and the new IDs that are coming out in September.”

Rodriguez revealed that the new student ID’s will be debuting on September 17.

Megan Kim, commissioner of public relations said, “Right now what I was doing, as people got free student planners, I would ask ‘Hey, do you happen to be interested in student government?’ If they were interested I explained what student government is.”

She added, “I explained the branches first […] cabinet is where the action happens, senate is where the politics happen, court is where they check up on cabinet and senate.”

After an explanation on how to fill out the forms required and a briefing on the meeting times, Kim walked students over to ASCC President Eduardo De La Rosa or Trent Coates, the new chief justice to learn more about the job.

“So far, a couple of people were interested and I’m kind of excited that I did that,” Kim said.

According to Kim about ten students went through the beginning process.

“When I was talking to them, I was trying to see where their heart was, and pretty much everyone I talked to really do want to make a change.”

“This is not high school,” she said. “This is college and we are here by choice. No one forces you in college and that is why I think people do care about the students and what is going on [at the college].”

Kim concluded, “I believe there is leadership in every single person.”

Karla Enriquez
Karla Enriquez, Managing Editor
'Ello! My name is Karla M. Enriquez and I am this semester's Managing & Investigative Editor. I'm a journalism major & hope to transfer to Berkeley in the very near future. I'm also very much into literature, politics, pop culture, art, and advocating for causes near and dear to me. I'm REALLY musically inclined so you'll probably catch me at a music event around town. If you catch me around campus feel free to stop me for a chat, I love meeting new people and sharing ideas. Catch me on social media as well. Twitter: karlamenriquez Snapchat:karlajonese
Amanda Del Cid
Amanda Del Cid, Social Media Editor
Amanda Del Cid, 20 years old. 
Current Social Media Editor of Talon Marks. 
Previously EIC of Libra Academy Inaugural  Literary magazine, and Co EIC of Libra Academy Inaugural news paper.
Played two seasons on the Cerritos College Tennis team.
Catch me around campus, we love to here from students and readers.
Follow at
Twitter: @delmanda94