Departments extend service hours after Trustees received student feedback

Karla Enriquez
Juan Herrera, Film major, Ashley Salazar, Nursing major, and Angela Nuñez, Psychology major work on their respective assignments at the school library. The library will be available on Saturdays for the first time since 2008. Photo credit: Karla Enriquez

According to Vice President of Student Services Dr. Stephen Johnson, “The board asked to extend hours in several offices including the library, success centers, admissions and records, counseling, financial aid, student health services, student ID center and Student Activities Office.”

He added that some of these offices extended hours have either been effective since the first week of the semester and some are going to begin later within the semester.

Dean of Academic Success Shawna Baskette, said, “We extended the shifts for five staff members to be available to operate the library during the extended evening hours and Saturdays.

Baskette went on to add, “We have several service desks that require dedicated staff to serve students: the reference desk for research assistance with a faculty librarian, the circulation desk to check out materials and the computer lab desks to help students with computer and software in the lab as well as study rooms.”

Baskette is happy to see that faculty and staff will now be able to serve students for longer hours and once again the library will be available Saturdays for the first time since Spring 2008.

Dr. Johnson explained that the extended hours were also due to student leader feed back at a joint meeting between the Associated Students of Cerritos College leaders and the Board of Trustees.

The new library hours are as follows:

• Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. – 10 p.m.
  • Friday 7:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
  • Saturday 10 a.m.- 3 p.m.

Vice President of Associated Students of Cerritos College Ivan Oyarzabal said, “We discussed the need for accessibility of resources for our night time students and noted that the student senate of California Community Colleges passed legislation to keep library hours open one hour prior to and one hour after the last class.”

Having places like the Student Health Services Office open longer hours is a good thing according to criminal justice major Geovanni Bravo.

Bravo said, “I think Student Health Services is a good thing because you can get things such as blood pressure checked and other check ups; to me it’s beneficial.”

Bravo is also relieved to hear that there will be more opportunities to see a counselor due to extended hours this semester.

For updates on each department hour changes Dr. Johnson suggests you visit their home pages and signs will also be posted on the offices.

Rob Flores
Rob Flores, Staff Writer
Jaime Roberto Flores Junior is a Radio Television student best known as Rob. He began his involvement at Cerritos College through WPMD Radio hosting his show Falcon Spotlight which you can find the facebook fan page “Cerritos College Falcon Spotlight” where he has interviewed a variety of leaders from students, faculty and elected officials such as Lynwood City Council Member and the Mayor of Norwalk. After serving the Country in AmeriCorps where he received congressional recognition from congress woman Linda Sanchez and the Presidential Volunteer Service award  he decided to get involved in student government known as the Associated Students of Cerritos College . As a Student Senator, he was appointed Chair of the Special Services and Activities sub-committee. He later went on to serve a year as the Assistant Commissioner of Public Relations. As an original member of Go Green he was part of the hiring committee that hired the first ever student recycling nest technicians.  He served a year as the Student Representative in the Institutional Committee known as Enrollment Management and the Faculty Senate Sub- Committee known as Student Learning Outcomes (SLO) . Currently he is active in the City of Lynwood as a Block Watch Captain promoting safety. He also serves as a City Intern. In addition he serves in the Lynwood Park Advisory Committee for the new Linear Park opening Fall 2015. As of 2015 he is now a Life Time Member of the National Association of Latino Appointed and Elected Officials (NALEO) .  He hopes to one day have a career in the entertainment industry and would like to be appointed as a Commissioner in his City. You can also reach him on twitter @lynwoodRobJF & Instagram RobJF2013
Karla Enriquez
Karla Enriquez, Managing Editor
'Ello! My name is Karla M. Enriquez and I am this semester's Managing & Investigative Editor. I'm a journalism major & hope to transfer to Berkeley in the very near future. I'm also very much into literature, politics, pop culture, art, and advocating for causes near and dear to me. I'm REALLY musically inclined so you'll probably catch me at a music event around town. If you catch me around campus feel free to stop me for a chat, I love meeting new people and sharing ideas. Catch me on social media as well. Twitter: karlamenriquez Snapchat:karlajonese