Confusion over Hall of Fame room among board of trustees

A rendering of the new Hall of Fame that will be built with the new Physical Education and Student Health Services complex. This room will cost roughtly over two million dollars.
A rendering of the new Hall of Fame that will be built with the new Physical Education and Student Health Services complex. This room will cost roughly over two million dollars. Photo provided by Vice President of Business Services Dr. David El Fattal

Confusion among board of trustee members erupted over the discussion of a Hall of Fame room being built in one of the new buildings that will come sometime in the next five years.

The confusion stemmed from the board members being unaware of the space.

Trustee John Paul Drayer said, “We weren’t included in the process by the previous president. We were not informed, especially with the visual… the details were not given to us.”

Trustee Sandra Salazar on the other hand, felt that the board was uncertain about the space and that’s why there was confusion.

“I think we were just looking for more information and as to how [and] when the board was involved with the decision-making,” she said.

As to what the Hall of Fame space is about, it is an estimate of 5,000 square feet, can fit up to more than 100 people and can be used for many different purposes such as having a wall dedicated to people that have been inducted into the Cerritos College Hall of Fame.

According to David Moore, director of Physical Plant and Construction Services, there will also be a kiosk that will let anyone search information on a particular person that has been inducted into the Hall of Fame.

The room can also be used for counseling, holding community events similar to that of the Student Center, seminars and have proctors teach class, etc.

According to Moore, it was designed to be a multipurpose space.

The Hall of Fame room will be located in the new Physical Education and Student Health Services complex that will be built in the grass area that is in between the gym, weight room, lockers and Student Center/Food Court.

The cost for the Hall of Fame is estimated to be about $2.1 million, but according to Vice President of Business Services Dr. David El Fattal, the whole complex will cost more than $60 million.

The complex is scheduled to begin construction Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2016 and will be completed by Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2018.

El Fattal commented on the board’s confusion, “Sometimes there’s confusion, there’s an awful lot of information. I don’t have all these facts at the top of my head… I don’t know why there may have been differences of opinion, but board members do have differences of opinion sometimes.”

While Drayer believes that “It was a breakdown of communication and we hope we can correct it.”

Grester Celis-Acosta
Grester Celis-Acosta, Managing Editor
I am Grester Celis-Acosta, I will the Managing Editor for Fall 2015. This will also be my third and final semester at Talon Marks and Cerrtios College. A little bit about me is that I love video games and music preferably hip hop. When I’m not busy with school I either play some video games or I just listen to music and relax. Twitter: @GresterC
Instagram: @gresterc23