JoAnna Schilling named finalist for superintendent job

“I think it is important that all of us challenge ourselves in whatever position we fill. That’s how we learn. Often the experience is more important than the outcome,” said Dr. JoAnna Schilling, vice president of academic affairs, about her position as a finalist in El Camino College’s superintendent search.

She added, “I have a lot of mixed emotions, to be honest. It is an honor to be invited back as a finalist for this position, but I am also extremely committed and excited about the work we are doing here at Cerritos.”

Schilling said that no matter the outcome she would still work with great faculty, colleagues and students.

Schilling is one of five finalists, including:

· Kathleen F. Burke, president of Los Angeles Pierce College

· Dena Maloney, president of the West Kern Community College District and Taft College

· Sandra Mayo, president of Moreno Valley College

· Ron Taylor, president of Merced College

El Camino College began its search for a new superintendent after ECC President Thomas Fallo announced his retirement on Feb. 17.

“I have been very blessed to have a wonderful career serving the California community colleges. My tenure at El Camino College is the capstone of my work life. I am grateful to the community, the board of trustees, faculty and staff for their contributions to the success of El Camino College, but most importantly, the students, who motivate me every day,” he said in his retirement announcement.

According to James Walker, Community College Search Services, after the finalists are chosen, interviews with the El Camino College Board of Trustees are scheduled.

“Before the interviews, however, forums are set up to provide the community a chance to meet each of the finalists for about an hour,” he said.

According to the El Camino College presidential search website, the forum schedules are:

Monday, October 5, 2015

10:00-11:00 a.m. – JoAnna Schilling

11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m. – Dena Maloney

12:30-1:30 p.m. – Kathleen Burke

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

10:00-11:00 a.m. – Ron Taylor

11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m. – Sandra Mayo

Schilling said, regardless of the outcome, “M plan is to continue to find ways to help all students achieve their academic goals whether it is at Cerritos or El Camino.”

Gustavo Lopez, Online Editor
I have coffee for blood and I'm not entirely sure I'm human anymore. I sort of stumbled into journalism and Talon Marks but I'm glad I did because I've always lacked direction, even though I've always been told I'm "smart." I've never really felt smart, more like the world doesn't make sense and I'm just trying to make sense of it. I'm a huge gamer and geek and the very model of a scientist Salarian. One thing you'll hear me say usually after several cups of coffee is either "I am Krogan" or "it had to be me, someone else would have gotten it wrong." I hope the editors and the new staff learn from my past mistakes, as well the ones that came before. I wish everyone the best in whatever they may pursue. Let's kick some ass, write good news and show them Talon Marks is more than just the newspaper. We're a team and family. This is Goose signing off, go get'em.