CSULB nursing presentation informs prospective students

A nursing program presentation was held on Thursday, Oct. 1 where information on the California State University of Long Beach’s was given.

Catherine Mullins, off-site program coordinator for the Undergraduate Programs School of Nursing, gave a presentation from the perspective of a recruiter at Cal State Long Beach.

The Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree at CSULB is intended to provide the foundation for registered nurses or basic students (students entering without an RN license) to continue on to their master of science in nursing degree.

“Our programs provide the community with great opportunity, an opportunity for Long Beach Memorial to have quality nursing staff and it is an opportunity for Long Beach students to receive quality education,” Mullins said.

Students are able to learn alongside professionals in the field throughout their education, thanks to the many contracts CSULB has with the surrounding hospitals, like OC Memorial, Long Beach Memorial among others.

The program offers students the opportunity to tour Veterans Affairs as well to become acquainted with the many environments they might find themselves in.

Andrea Gonzalez, who is a Cerritos College student applying for CSULB’s nursing program who attended the presentation, said, “I’m just taking the prerequisites, the science classes.”

She added that she is getting ready to finish her two-year plan here at Cerritos College to transfer on time to her school of choice.

Mullins also spoke about the required classes each student will undertake as part of a uniform curriculum composed by the California State University system.

CSULB only accepts about 80-90 students per semester and that’s including both semester and trimester students.

The presentation that was coordinated by Danylle Williams-Manser, program assistant for Project HOPE at Cerritos College, who is in charge of scheduling multiple events for students and their education, noted that it presents a challenge when multiple schedules have to be taken into consideration and still plan the event on dead hours for interested students to be able to attend.

According to Williams-Manser, nearly one third of Project Hope caters to nursing students.

The nursing field is a growing field providing above-average wages ($69,790) in May 2014, according to a study released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics earlier this year in March.

Sam Luevano, Staff Writer
Hey, Sam here. Last name, Luevano, is French. I think. So I’m a business major and this is my attempt at putting my understanding to use with journalism at Talon Marks. This is my first semester here and I like to write. I want to bring awareness about current business and economic issues that are happening today, to the best of my ability. These things involve everyone and I would love to be of service to anyone that’s interested in this kind of thing. As a music enthusiast, I like many genres (mostly hip-hop, house, jazz, rock) of music as long as they have a rhythmic beat, meaningful lyrics, and good vibes.