Administration of justice major, Michael Esqueda (left) listens to Ambria Aryes (right) about the open position at Davita. Esqueda is currently a part-time student who is browsing during the Job Fair on Wednesday. Photo credit: Bianca Salgado
Bianca Salgado

53 employers attend Cerritos College Job Fair

Michael Esqueda (left) listens to Ambria Aryes (right) about the open position at Davita. Esqueda is currently a part-time student who is browsing during the Job Fair on Wednesday. Photo credit: Bianca Salgado” width=”857″ height=”600″ /> Administration of justice major, Michael Esqueda (left) listens to Ambria Aryes (right) about the open position at Davita. Esqueda is currently a part-time student who is browsing during the Job Fair on Wednesday. Photo credit: Bianca Salgado

Michael Covarrubias, a film major in search for a part-time job that fits his school schedule attended the Cerritos College Job Fair on Wednesday, Oct. 21.

Panda Express caught his attention and he began seeking information at their table.

He said, “I am happy to see a wide variety of employers here.”

Ro Dominguez is a recruiter for Panda Express and is proud of her company.

Dominguez was happy to say her company started in the 1970s and has even expended internationally to Egypt.

Moly Monalong, serves as a project manager for Panda Express and her duties include information system programing.

According to Monalong, this is the first time Panda Express has participated at the Cerritos College Job Fair.

Currently, Panda Express is hiring from part-time positions to management roles.

There is an internship program available to college juniors and seniors.

Over 53 participating companies were scheduled for the Job Fair, which include the following:

• 85C Bakery Cafe
  • Achieve Beyond Therapy
  • Alta Resources
  • Ambitions – CA
  • Apple
  • and others.

Medical major, Danvia Rosalas was drawn to the job fair when she noticed baked goods at a table.

She began to inquire information about the 85C Bakery Cafe.

Rosalas said, “I saw flyers, but then I saw the sweets and decided to check out the Job Fair.”

She believes students benefit from job fairs because they could end up getting hired by a company.

Estefani Burciaga serves as the supervisor for the 85C Bakery Cafe.

This was the first time 85C Bakery Cafe has participated in the job fair.

Burciaga said, “We are a family business and donate bread, during holidays we fund raise for families in need.”

Working for 85C Bakery Cafe she believes will feel like a second family.

Psychology major, Moii Acosta believes he picked the right day to visit Cerritos College.

Acosta is a Compton College student who was visiting a friend and was happy to attend the job fair as he waited for his friend.

Among the companies that caught his attention was Child Development Consortium of Los Angeles.

Acosta was eager to inquire information as he has experience working with people.

In the past, he has worked with teens and adults in a 12-step program.

Program Director Keneisha Dunlap, said that CDCLA has ten locations.

CDCLA was searching for Teachers Assistants the minimum requirements for applicants are as followed:

• Fingerprint background clearance
  • 12 units completed in Child Development
  • CPR & First Aid Certifications

CDCLA serves low income families and works with children from age zero to five.

Terrie Lopez serves as director of career and assessment services for Cerritos College.

She recalls helping plan the job fair as early as the start this semester.

Lopez said, “Students benefit from job fairs because it is convenient for employers to come to them and show case their skills.”

For more information of Career Services students are encouraged to visit their homepage.

Rob Flores
Rob Flores, Staff Writer
Jaime Roberto Flores Junior is a Radio Television student best known as Rob. He began his involvement at Cerritos College through WPMD Radio hosting his show Falcon Spotlight which you can find the facebook fan page “Cerritos College Falcon Spotlight” where he has interviewed a variety of leaders from students, faculty and elected officials such as Lynwood City Council Member and the Mayor of Norwalk. After serving the Country in AmeriCorps where he received congressional recognition from congress woman Linda Sanchez and the Presidential Volunteer Service award  he decided to get involved in student government known as the Associated Students of Cerritos College . As a Student Senator, he was appointed Chair of the Special Services and Activities sub-committee. He later went on to serve a year as the Assistant Commissioner of Public Relations. As an original member of Go Green he was part of the hiring committee that hired the first ever student recycling nest technicians.  He served a year as the Student Representative in the Institutional Committee known as Enrollment Management and the Faculty Senate Sub- Committee known as Student Learning Outcomes (SLO) . Currently he is active in the City of Lynwood as a Block Watch Captain promoting safety. He also serves as a City Intern. In addition he serves in the Lynwood Park Advisory Committee for the new Linear Park opening Fall 2015. As of 2015 he is now a Life Time Member of the National Association of Latino Appointed and Elected Officials (NALEO) .  He hopes to one day have a career in the entertainment industry and would like to be appointed as a Commissioner in his City. You can also reach him on twitter @lynwoodRobJF & Instagram RobJF2013
Bianca Salgado
Bianca Salgado, Opinion Editor