ASCC Cabinet gets insight on dashboard tool for students

There was a preview of a new dashboard feature that will help students see their progress toward their major and also general education.

The ASCC cabinet meeting took place Monday, Nov. 9.

The preview was presented by Debra Moore, who is part of the library’s technical services and academic affairs.

Cerritos College will be the first community college to have this type of feature.

She asked a cabinet member to come help her test out the feature so she can work on any glitches or bugs.

ASCC Vice President Ivan Oyarzabal said, “I think this is a great feature and I’m looking forward to testing it out.”

The feature acts like online classes and even shows students what classes they still need to take to transfer out or earn a degree or certificate.

Moore stated, “We don’t want to replace the counselors, but want students to have more insight for when they do talk to the counselors.”

This feature will become available to students by mid-November.

There will be a tutorial video for students to demonstrate how to use the feature.

Cabinet welcomed new staff member, Amber Dofner, as a full-time employee for student activities and someone to assist Gilbert Contreras.

She has been assisting Contreras since the beginning of the semester, but as a part-time employee.

Her main emphasis is student government and falcon kids and she plans on revamping the student government page for the online website.

Another topic that was discussed at the meeting was the issue of the cabinet members showing up to the meeting late, and ASCC President Eddie De La Rosa emphasized that the members work on punctuality.

A flag football tournament will take place Friday, Nov. 20 and will consist of team composed of staff members from Cerritos College.

The tournament will be open to the public just as long as the participants are above the age of 18.

It will take place on the Cerritos College football stadium at 10 a.m.

Teams will be required to pay a fee and the money will be donated to the charity Angel Step Too, which helps women that are battered or are trying to overcome drug addictions.

President De La Rosa encouraged members to advertise and spread the word of the event.

Frank Rodarte, Staff Writer
The multi-talented legend that is the man Frank Rodarte has come to be endeared throughout many a kick-backs, concerts and various other forms of social gatherings. While some note his odd claims to uniqueness, such as “Professional Crowd Surfer” or “Set list connoisseur”, most have come to appreciate his stage and media performances - ranging from short film actor to his band’s front man. All-in-all this music buff and sports fanatic is, when all is said and done, an entertainer, and his comedic personality is sure to win your vote. “Vote for what”, you may ask. Don’t you worry your pretty little head; he’s got this.