Former senator gets reinstated at ASCC Court meeting

Kelly Nam
Alex Cervantes presented his case to re enter ASCC senate. He was dropped for not completing five units, but was granted permission to resume in student government after he presented proof that he completed units at another college. Photo credit: Kelly Nam

Alex Cervantes, former senator, presented a case at the Tuesday, Jan. 27 Court meeting.

He stated that he was removed from ASCC Senate for not completing five units last semester, according to the student government law.

“ASCC states that to be a member of student body you must be taking at least five units, but it doesn’t specify that all classes have to be at Cerritos College,” he said.

He countered this by stating he did meet the requirement because he took four units at El Camino College which he passed, as well as classes at Cerritos College.

The only reason it looked like he didn’t fulfill five units was because he had to drop one of the classes he was getting a “C” on at Cerritos College.

Cervantes expressed that because he plans to go to medical school, getting A’s and B’s is crucial.

It is also known that he worked two jobs last semester and volunteered at a hospital for four hours every Friday.

After stating his case, he was able to be reinstated to his position due to his desire to be involved and contribute to Cerritos College.

His case was deemed unique because it was not clear whether all units had to be taken at Cerritos College.

Chief Justice Trent Coates stated , “It isn’t [difficult to make a decision] unless it’s a tie and I’m only here to break ties.

“I like to make them [student government] revote until one is skewed with more votes.”

He continued, “The situations are always unique, I like those [votes] to be passed for just that one person because things change.

“I don’t want someone that isn’t as involved and doesn’t want our associated student body to do good to be involved if they’re not trying to better our student government as a whole.”

“Cervantes is an outstanding senator and student so I’m happy that the court was able to do that for him. The decisions are harder on them [students] because I’m only here to break ties,” Coates expressed.

The room was notified that Michael Melindo and Joseph Escadon were dropped from membership due to absences.

The approval of Diego Lucas to participate in court was decided.

Lucas stated, “You represent all the students at large, you want to make decisions on services and opportunities students can participate as a whole.

“As first generation, I was restricted to be considered as “the other” and I don’t want that to happen to any other student.”

He added, “A current project I want to resume working at, as a court member, potentially is to make more hydration stations at school.

Kelly Nam, Staff Writer
My dream is to become a reporter and work in broadcast journalism. I graduated in 2013 from UCR and have a B.A in Media and Cultural Studies. After much thought and being unsatisfied with the career track I was on after graduating, I have decided to return to school to specifically study journalism. I currently work part-time but my main focus is school and obtaining a summer internship this year. I am on an uncertain road but I feel great that I am working towards my dreams! In my free time, I love to explore new places, eat good food, and my goal is to travel to a new state or country this year. I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and one of my main mottos I try to live by is "don't sweat the small stuff"!