Cabinet discusses Goodwill Program and kiosks

Chantal Romero
Joseph Fierro introduces kiosks during the cabinet meeting. The program is primarily for business students, but is open to everyone. Photo credit: Chantal Romero

The Goodwill Project and Purchasing Touchscreen Kiosks were topics discussed at the Cabinet meeting on Monday, Feb. 1.

The Goodwill Project was introduced by the Employment Services Coordinator, Bridgette Nalty.

This program is primarily for, but not limited to, business major students, who want an internship or want to work.

She states, “I am helping them [by] giving them job opportunities, going over resumes, cover letters, how to present [themselves], and how to answer tough questions on interviews.”

She adds, “I am setting up interviews for employers to come on campus to interview students, not just [for] Goodwill.

“There are many different career fields so I try and diversify what companies are coming on campus or what companies I am setting up interviews through.”

She states, “It is a program to guide, and not take away from what a student is doing. It is supposed to be an addition to their career.”

Venea Meyer, TAACCCT Grant Industry Community Liaison also adds, “We have one program for the Culinary Arts department, so there are 2 Goodwill programs on campus, then they hired Bridgette because we got a [grant].”

Purchasing touch screen kiosks was an idea introduced by Joseph Fierro.

He said, “The original idea came from the former commissioner of public relations Megan Kim.

Kim is currently not in student government but wanted me to pursue [the] continuation of the kiosks.”

The kiosks are interactive touch screens that will enable the students to become more aware of events and program opportunities offered at Cerritos.

He stated, “It is going to help students in the way that outreaching works. Outreaching is one of the [most] crucial things that student government struggles on.

“These kiosks are not here to look cool; they are meant to let students know of the resources that are offered to them [that] many students are not aware of.”

“The kiosks are interactive and students will have the chance and opportunity to get more involved if they see something that can benefit them, he added.

Fierro went on, “Knowing about the resources that students have is the most important [thing] that I hope to implement at Cerritos College with these kiosks.”

The total cost of two kiosks is $5,970.

There is already an ASCC Senate allocation for $5,000 and an additional $970 has been requested.

Fierro stated, “This was approved by last year’s senate. I believe this is a great investment for students, by students.”

He adds, “This is a pilot test with the kiosks. If they seem to be successful, we would like to push for more of them across campus. “

The kiosks will be located in the Student
Activities Center and the Student Center.

Jenny Gonzalez, Fall 2017 Editor in Chief
Jenny Gonzalez is the Fall 2017 Editor-in-Chief at Talon Marks. She initially joined Talon Marks to copy edit and decided to pursue more than copyediting. She has previously held the Opinion Editor position for Fall 2016 semester and News Editor for Spring 2017 semester. Jenny's major is English with a minor in journalism and hopes to transfer to UCLA or UC Berkeley.  She hopes to work in a publishing house and will pursue a Master's in Library and Information Sciences. She also wants to own her own bookstore one day.
Chantal Romero, Platforms Editor