University fair offers information about transferring

The Transfer Center had its third University Fair of the year at Falcon Square on Thursday, Mar 3.

The fair began at 10 a.m with over 20 universities at booths handing out flyers and offering information about their programs.

The Transfer Center also created a scavenger hunt for students which allowed them to get more involved in all the colleges that were in attendance.

Students who completed the scavenger hunt, which were a couple of questions about a UC, CSU, and a private college, were entered in a raffle to win prizes.

Brittany Lundeen, Transfer Center coordinator, said, “The university fairs happen three times a year. We have our mega fair in September, which we usually have 60 to 70 different universities come out and then we have two mini fairs in November and March. “

She added, “We have a state calendar that tells us when other colleges are having their event. So we aren’t conflicting with other colleges in our area and we can get the most representatives possible we are then assigned our date. Next, we just contact the representatives and let them know.”

Colleges such as Cal State Fullerton, Hope University, Chapman, Roseman, UCLA, Long Beach State, and several others were there to give students information about their university.

Diego Madero, representative for UCLA, said, “UCLA is one of the most top ranked public institutions in the entire country. We have the most students who apply to the university. Over a 100,000 applicants this year applied and are expecting more next year.”

Madero added, “Most students gravitate toward psychology, business, economics,history and sociology. Students should expect the academic rigor to step up because transfer students only have a short amount of time to get all they want out of the university.”

Dominguez Hills University representative, Patricia N-Enyekwe Akundinobi,also shared information about her university. She said, “Dominguez Hills is a very diverse campus and the location is fantastic. The classrooms are small and offer a one on one with professors.”

Students were given loads of information about each university like their admission requirements, help with transferring planning and advice about applying.

After the event, Lunden said, “My hope is for students not only to look at their first choice schools, but also consider some other options. We want them to find out what is really available when transferring.”

Janel Oliver
Janel Oliver, Staff Writer
Hey, I'm Janel! I am a first year staff writer for Talon Marks. I'm a journalism major and I'm excited to learn more about becoming a better writer. One important thing you should now about me is that I love basketball. I'm also a second year basketball player here at Cerritos College. I plan to attend a university this fall and continue to work on becoming a better writer. I want to be a versatile writer and learn how to make people want to continue to read my work.