A Latina’s journey To Los Angeles City College presidency

Los Angeles City College President Renee D. Martinez talks to the Cerritos College community on her journey to college presidency on Thursday, March. 24. Her focus is primarily on education and children. Photo credit: Claudia Cazares

Los Angeles City College President Renee D. Martinez was welcomed on Thursday, March 24 to share her journey as a Latina college president.

Martinez’ parents worked full-time, both went to cosmetology school. Her mother was the only one who passed the test and was able to open a salon where Martinez would helped her mother with accounting.

She expressed how important it is for students or really anyone pursuing a goal to receive guidance and support, she spoke about her mentor Karen Deantoni who she received that guidance and support from.

Martha Robles, faculty member said, “She gave us a nice balance of what her life was like as she grew in her education and also what her experience were like as a president of a college.

“Another thing that she mentioned is how important it is to have a mentor; it can either be a family member, friend or professor, anyone that can guide and help us [and] see what we do not see in ourselves.”

Before becoming president for Los Angeles City College, Martinez worked with the foster youth and adults, where she was also awarded in 1983 for the outstanding foster care program.

Her focus has always been in children and their future as well as always making education her number one priority.

Director of College Relations and Public Affairs Miya Walker said, “What really stood out to me was the reward she gets for being the president by providing direction and guidance to students and faculty into promoting their advancement.”

Planning, spending time with family and friends, learning to use technology, staying healthy and finding a hobby or a place to relief stress are very important key factors for her as being a college president.

“Martinez is very tightly involved with communities surrounding LACC, she said,“Patience and understanding, we have different cultures all around and we need to understand that and not judge.”

Claudia Cazares, Staff Writer