District attorney answers FAQs during sexual assault awareness month

Tisha Lenon
District Attorney Brian Soohoo gives a presentation about sexual awareness. This lecture is all part of sexual assault awareness month. Photo credit: Tisha Lenon

Cerritos Police Chief Tom Gallivan, says it’s important for students to be aware of sexual assault.

April is sexual assault awareness month and Cerritos College hosted a FAQ session with Deputy District Attorney for the County of Los Angeles on Wednesday, April 13.

“Knowledge is power, not a lot of people are exposed to this type of activity so it’s important for people to be aware it does occur and it will help keep them out of possibly dangerous situations just being aware about what does happen out there,” Gallivan said.

During the FAQ, District Attorney Brian Soo-Hoo, went over the different sexual assault, consent and how it affects the victims.

Most of the sexual assault cases that are seen are perpetrated by people who know the victim.

Almost 50 percent of these acquaintance rapes involve alcohol, which can induce bad decision and aggressiveness.

90 percent of rape victims are under the age of thirty.

There are several different times that sex crimes including rape, sexual battery and sex acts with a minor (statutory rape), or kidnapping to commit sex crimes.

When it comes to rape the slightest penetration can be considered and ejaculation is not required.

These acts are all legal unless there is no consent given.

Consent is when a positive agreement is given to someone.

Just because someone is requesting a form of birth control or you are dating a person, doesn’t mean that gives consent.

Signs of intoxication, slurring words, vomiting, staggering or loss of coordination, gives no person a good state of mind to give consent.

Anyone under the age of 18 is considered unable to give valid consent.

Flirting, an outfit a person wears, or the amount a person has been drinking is never a factor of why a person is sexually assaulted, the rapist is always at fault.

Common reaction after being sexually assaulted for women includes delayed/failure to report, denial, personal blame and shame, loss of trust (self/others).

In men, they fear they won’t be believed or blamed, shame and self-doubt, and their masculinity and sexual identity is questioned.

If you have been sexually assaulted it’s important to know you are not alone.

Soo-Hoo stated, “The worst possible thing to do is to sit on it and not report it. The importance of reporting a sex crime even if you decided later on you don’t want to participate, it’s important that its documented because if its documented if this [person] does it again it’s on record and where going to find it.”

Some attackers tend to repeat their crimes until they are caught.

The process of reporting sexual assault include filing a police report, getting a medical exam, prosecution, and testifying in court.

Officers, district attorneys, and counselors are always on standby to help the victims.

If charged for a sex crime a person can get up to six years to life in prison.

Tisha Lenon, Staff Writer
I’m 20 years old and attend Cerritos College. I played on the Women's volleyball team I was the co-captain. My major is Public Relations and I'm minoring in Fashion and Merchandising. I plan to transfer to either Cal State Fullerton or Cal State Long Beach. I hope to get a big career in the Fashion industry or the media/entertainment business. My main objective is get as much experience as a writer and be able use all the elements I learn with Talon Marks in my career. “The greatest weapon anyone can use against us is our own mind.” – Emily Thorne (Revenge)