Senator Bernie Sanders to possibly visit Falcons

Senator and Presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders at the March 23 rally at The Wiltern in Koreatown. Actress Rosario Dawson introduced Sanders at the rally. Photo by Karla Enriquez
TM Karla Enriquez

The Portland, Ore. rally where a bird landed on Vermont Senator and Democratic Party nomination hopeful Bernie Sanders’ podium may not be the last instance where we see Sanders share the stage with a bird.

Franco Falcon could be the next feathered creature to appear side by side the senator as there is a petition going around to get Sanders to visit Cerritos College.

Former student senator Gloria Sedano is one of the students working with Political Science Professor Dennis Falcon to gather 1,000 signatures from students at the college who would want to see Sanders speak.

“I was contacted by professor Falcon to gather some form of formal support or an invitation by students to bring Sanders to speak on campus,” she said.

Sedano started a petition in which other students expressed interest in helping almost immediately, currently student government leaders are assisting her collect signatures.

According to the former student senator, signature gathering was supposed to be accomplished in a week to present at the Wednesday, April 20 board meeting, but it has since been decided to continue for a month to accomplish their goal of 1,000 names.

Although the visit is just a possibility, East Los Angeles College is also interested in having the presidential hopeful visit its campus according to Sedano.

Both Professor Falcon and Sedano noted that Cerritos would be a good choice given its diverse population.

Falcon expressed, “Our college has unique aspects that make it an attractive venue for this visit.”

To which Sedano added, “Cerritos would be the perfect college to bring Sanders because of our diverse campus which is home to students of nearly all races and religions.”

Falcon noted that the possible visit would “depend on so much beyond our control.”

He also added, “We have a very good chance at making it happen as long as scheduling and facilities issues match.”

Falcon said that this is a serious effort that is taking place in large part due to connections with people in Sanders’ campaign.

The political science professor expressed that the visit is not an endorsement of the candidate as the college makes itself available as a venue to outside groups.

He expressed, “How this is controversial I don’t know. Colleges and universities, public and private are common campaign stops. Our college has unique aspects that make it an attractive venue for this visit.”

Falcon noted that there is small backlash to the possible visit that could pose a larger issue against an opportunity for the college.

“I am proud to be playing a part in the planning of this event. If it comes off, it will be a chance for our students, communities, faculty and staff, to be a part of one of the most interesting campaigns in American history. How often does an opportunity like this come along?,” Falcon concluded.

The last time Cerritos saw a candidate visit the campus was in November 1988, when Democratic Nominee Michael S. Dukakis held a rally.

Dukakis, who ran against George H.W. Bush, chose the campus because it was the focus of both presidential hopefuls due to the demographics.

Bush made a stop at nearby Heritage Park.

Karla Enriquez
Karla Enriquez, Managing Editor
'Ello! My name is Karla M. Enriquez and I am this semester's Managing & Investigative Editor. I'm a journalism major & hope to transfer to Berkeley in the very near future. I'm also very much into literature, politics, pop culture, art, and advocating for causes near and dear to me. I'm REALLY musically inclined so you'll probably catch me at a music event around town. If you catch me around campus feel free to stop me for a chat, I love meeting new people and sharing ideas. Catch me on social media as well. Twitter: karlamenriquez Snapchat:karlajonese