Financial Aid Department wins food drive contest

For the second year straight, the Financial Aid Department has won the food drive contest.

The contest began in April and lasted to May 6 with over 3000 total items being collected.

The Financial Aid Department’s work will be rewarded with a pizza party and a honorary trophy.

14 groups participated in the food drive to help provide food for students in the Health Center.

All the groups who participated showed their generosity that will help students stay focused on their studies and relieve some stress from hunger.

Groups like DSPS, Campus Police, Student Activities, Child Development Club among others.

DSPS came in second with 412 food items, PEX, Dance110 and Dance 110 came in close third with 364 items collected.

The Financial Aid Department came in first place with 1071 food items collected in total.

A representative for the Financial aid department said, “We set a goal to bring in as much food as possible because we work so closely with our students. We wanted to be able to help them have a resource to go to in case they were hungry so they could focus on their studies.”

The department credits their generous staff and large amount of people who work in the department for their success.

They added, “ We see many students come through our office that are not getting their basic needs met. For this reason, we were motivated to make a significant contribution towards this cause.”

A lot of staff members in the Financial Aid Department help contribute to their success in the food drive contest for the second straight year.

A representative for the department said, “We would like to thank Carrie Edwards and Erica McLennan for working so hard to put the food drive together. The Financial Aid Office is always willing to contribute to help meet the needs of the students at Cerritos College. We are excited that the Food Drive Trophy will remain in the Financial Aid office for another year!”

Students who are in need of food assistance can visit the Health Center on campus for a bag of food. If students need further assistance the Health Center will connect them with helpful resources.

Janel Oliver
Janel Oliver, Staff Writer
Hey, I'm Janel! I am a first year staff writer for Talon Marks. I'm a journalism major and I'm excited to learn more about becoming a better writer. One important thing you should now about me is that I love basketball. I'm also a second year basketball player here at Cerritos College. I plan to attend a university this fall and continue to work on becoming a better writer. I want to be a versatile writer and learn how to make people want to continue to read my work.