Huge steps taken with Women’s Equality Day program

The Women’s Equality Day program celebrated the anniversary of the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which gave women the right to vote in 1920.

It took place in SS 137 on Thursday, Aug. 25th and was coordinated by students and faculty.

This was a time to remember when women won not only the right to vote in 1920 and women also won the right to hold public office.

History professor, George Jarret made an introduction with the role of protest in gaining approval of the 19th Amendment and followed with presentation on a power point.

Jarret said he was pleased with the number of students who attended to their first program and obtained positive results.

Students, both men and women, have been part of the activities provided by Chair of Women & Gender Studies Department Ana Torres Bower.

Political science professor Dennis Falcon gave his personal thoughts regarding this program stating, “I’m happy that is packed, I’m very happy that it’s a full room, because I have done things like this on events on campus before, and its on five or six students. Obviously this was something that for whatever reason there is a lot of interest, that makes me feel good. I’m happy about that, its a success.”

Students will be more familiar […] with the issues women are facing are in terms getting elected at the office. Had nothing to do with societal perception, had nothing to do with women not been ambitious, It had nothing to do with women not wanting to be leaders, and leadership of all, they do, but there are structural reason, system reasons that keep them from having those opportunities.

Such like “the glass ceiling” that women can be successful, but they can’t become CEO of corporations and you need to crash the glass ceiling, you need to make changes in business and corporation in therms in how they hired people, those are structures.

Something with the government, is not that people don’t want to vote for women, people do vote for women, in fact most voters in America are women. So, women don’t doubt each other, today this generation like they might had 30, 40 years ago, women don’t do that to each other. Some men might still do that.

So women, join their voters, they trust other women to serve in office, but again, is the structural is the system set up, is difficult to achieve. Not that is reaped, I like Donald Trump, is not that is reaped, is just, that’s the way it was created,” Falcon said. (Was this also said by Falcon?)

The classroom didn’t have functioning air conditioner, yet students were still walking in and standing against the wall.

It was getting a little too warm at a sort point that one of the professors had to hold open the back door for the air to circulate.

During the program H.R. Staff department introduced, Dr. Valyncia Raphael, J.D. Director of Diversity, Compliance, and Title IX Coordinator Located in MP building (562) 860-2451 Ext. 2276 [email protected]

“Title IX means; Student’s do not be discriminated against for gender, sex violence on campus. Domestic violence, heating violence, stalking, sexual phone, and sexual harassment are prohibited,” Dr. Raphael said.

“My job is to make sure that if you are experiencing any of those kinds, that I help investigate that find the person, and I also support the victims survivor to make sure that access education is not imputed,” Dr. Raphael said.

“Support those things look like if have being stalk I can work with campus police and student health to make sure that you feel safe, to make sure you have a police escort to class, if you missed a test that I work with your professors to help ensure you being helped out,” Dr. Raphael said.

“If you need to be switch class because someone is being inappropriate or making you feel uncomfortable we can work out around your schedule, I have lots of options,” Dr. Raphael said.

“I wants to build a relationship with each and one of the students in this campus,” Dr. Raphael said.

Lizette Sainz
Lizette Sainz, Staff Writer
My name is Lizette Sainz, I'm a current student at Cerritos College, my plan is to transfer this Fall Semester to USC or CSUF to obtain my Journalism (BA). I want to work and enjoy my career sometime soon for the news channel and for the WWE World Wrestling Entertainment as a reporter. I would like to come back to Cerritos college and finished my classes to obtain my Anthropology A.A. and Administration of Justice A.A. As a hobby, I'm at the gym three times a week an hour with my personal trainer. Currently I have no life, with school and work there’re not enough hours in a day.