Feminist protesters take arms against patriarchy in Los Angeles

Back to Article
Back to Article

Men, women and children gathered at the front steps of city hall to protest against President Donald Trump’s inaguration. The protest was also a rally for equality for women and other minority groups. Photo credit: Monique Nethington

Bianca Martinez, College Life Editor

The Women’s March organized by UFCW Local 770 took place on Jan. 21 in Pershing Square located in Downtown LA.

Individuals of all creeds, ethnicities and sexualities lined the steps of the Los Angeles City Hall to protest the rights for women and all people that are struggling to be recognized and receive the rights that every individual deserves.

The march took place from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., which during its duration was conducted safely and peaceably.

The streets of 1st and Spring were barely visible due to the throngs of individuals all holding posters with topical slogans such “Nasty Woman”, “Pussy grabs back”, and “Resist!”, (in honor of the passing of Carrie Fisher).

The crowd made up of mostly young college students peaceably protested for the rights of all, and against Donald Trump.

The march served as an outlet not only for the voices of women to be heard, but the voices of undocumented immigrants, the LGBTQIA community, and simply those who do not agree with the concept of a Trump-led presidency.

17 year old Eli Cohen who was present at the march since 8:30 a.m. stresses the importance of the Women’s March.

He says, “I came to show support for women and their issues, which they are currently still fighting for…

“It’s for women and past women. We broke records today. Everyone, anyone came here to show support by sticking together, in the face of unpredictability, we must stand together,” He said.

Roughly 750,000 persons participated in the Los Angeles Women’s March, making it the largest participated march in years.

Although young adults made up the majority of the marchers, older individuals such as Art Goldberg went out to show support for the right’s of women.

Goldberg said, “I have been doing this since the early sixties. I really want to see a change in the world.

I am thrilled to see [your] generation standing out there and changing the world, what that means is that young people fight back and organize,” he said.

Young men and women stood upon the steps of City Hall carrying signs peaceably demanding the continuation of certain programs, such as Planned Parenthood, which is beneficial to the health and well-being of women.

DACA and the DREAM Act were also rallied for, which benefit the rights of undocumented immigrants.

Young women such as Sophi Panzarella and Paris Levy sat peaceably atop a bus stop shelter in front of Pershing Square so that they can not only be heard, but seen.

Panzarella says that her and Levy are part of “the feminist majority” and that they walked during the initial march to “to protect women’s rights and human rights.”

The general purpose of the march, as stated by an official flyer, was that “the march is open to everyone who stands for human rights, civil liberties, tolerance of diversity, and compassion for our shared humanity.”

Ashley Hernandez shares this sentiment, “Marches are a way to start coming together as a community and have our voices heard.”