Homecoming Court elected

Photo credit: Benjamin Garcia

A new homecoming court has been established through the voting process and now there are seven homecoming court members.

The following seven members will move on to the next election process and campaign for one of them to be homecoming queen:

• Pearl Netrayana (80)
  • Danielle Pastor (89)
  • Viviana Negrete (69)
  • Janet Carranza (78)
  • Trenese Gatlin (63)
  • Karen Patron (63)
  • Jazmine Jose (66)

These seven candidates have the plurality of the votes.

Once there’s a homecoming queen, the rest will continue on to court as “princess” according to the homecoming bylaws.

“This is my third year here at Cerritos College and I remember my freshman year I saw [some] girls campaigning and it looked like fun,” said Carranza, who was able to obtain 78 votes.

This is Carranza’s last year at Cerritos College and wanted to do something fun with her club, Phi Beta Lambda who supported her and helped her during the campaign.

Most of the candidates did this to support their clubs.

One of which was Netrayana, who received 80 votes.

“I wanted to support my club because I’ve been in it for a while. My club is the Child Development Club and is also my major.

“Also, I wanted to run just for the experience because I’ll be done soon at Cerritos College,” she said.

President of the Associated Students of Cerritos College Patron was able to gain 63 votes.

She says “this sort of thing” was out of her comfort zone.

“I’ve never ran for homecoming or anything associated with that,” Patron said, “I’ve ran for political positions — I’ve never been comfortable with beauty stuff like this.”

Many of the candidates spoke out about their concern with outreach or with what many believed the school lacked when it came to campaigns like these.

“We need a lot of outreach,” Patron said.

Netrayana said something similar.

“What I’ve noticed from campaigning is that not a lot of students know about homecoming. I’ll pass out a flier and people are like ‘What’s going on?’” she said.

And the candidate with the most votes was Pastor, who was able to garden 89 votes.

Pastor is a representative for the Student Athletes Captains Council and had something different in mind concerning her plans.

“I feel like I would be a very good representative for the school, for [the athletes] and the students.

“Since [presently] athletes are before students, I would want to bridge the gap between students and athletes. That would be really great,” she said.

The election for homecoming queen will be from Oct. 11 – Oct. 12 and one of the seven women will be crowned at the homecoming game on Oct. 21 during halftime.

The results won’t be announced until then.

These women will be campaigning at Falcon Square.

There will be voting booths around campus from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m., and 5 p.m. – 8 p.m.

David Jenkins
David Jenkins, Editor in Chief